Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Anyone Have a Distributor Brand They Recommend?

I believe my stuttering problem is a problem with the Hall Effect sensor inside my distributor. I had to work with it when I first got the car to start in 2018. It appears to be quite a bit of risk and work to just replace the sensor, and replacing the whole distributor is a better option. I've seen mixed reviews on the chain stores (Auto Zone, O'Reilly's, etc.), and also hit and miss on MSD. I can't find any reviews on Performance Distributor out of Memphis, but they will sell me either a fully dressed distributor with cap, rotor, and TFI module for $280 or a stripped model without the cap, rotor, and module for just over $200. Someone suggested finding NOS, which I couldn't find anywhere.

Anyone have a brand they have used and recommend, or anything to definitely stay away from. I don't need anything race specific, etc. My engine is a simple '92 model (87-93 years).
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

I have had good luck by using the msd distributor then replacing the tfi with the stock ford unit.

There are no guarantees, but overall I have had decent luck with the aftermarket stock replacement distributors. Most of them now are all new and not re-manufactured. The reman units I haven't had good luck with, but otherwise no issues. I personally would give one from Rock Auto a try at $83 or less before I spent $200+, but its your $$. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller