Close

Threaded View

Default Best option for cut radio opening? (84 GT)

Hey fellas. I've poked around in here and haven't really found a clear solution on how to fit my stock radio back into my butchered up dash opening. I was lucky enough to get one of the many of these cars that some genius decided to hack the radio opening and attempt to dye a red interior black. I'm reversing everything back to stock the best I can.

This is an '84 GT and the radio I was able to source looks like either an '85 or '86. The brackets on it are for a truck application, so disregard that (they simply unscrew from the radio chassis). I'm debating on either totally opening up the opening as neatly as possible to allow the use of this radio, or if any of you have some good suggestions, I can possibly source an '84 or earlier radio that uses the separate face plate. I've also seen the radio delete plate that LMR re-pops that could possibly be used as a trim panel. It would probably have to be held on with double-sided tape as the mounting areas are all gone now except for the notches on the top.

Pics below:

Name:  radio.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  120.5 KB
    Name:  opening.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  118.7 KB

There's not much material left around the opening at this point, so I'm leaning towards just carefully trimming the hole out to accommodate the later radio. My only issue with this approach is finding the 85-86 brackets and drilling holes for the screws in the upper contour of the radio opening. Is that possible on these earlier dashes? I know the later dashes had a recessed area for the screw to reinforce that area from cracking. What say y'all? Anybody done this on their 4-eye? Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by graphicdesigner80; 10-30-2019 at 11:53 AM.
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe