Close

Default Repro body side mouldings

Has anybody used the reproduction body side moulding kit from LMR yet? It looks right to match the bumper ends on a 79 pace car but I'd like to hear from some of you guys that have personally bought them. Likes and dislikes
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

I have not used them, but some have stated that the profiles can be a little different. I don't think it's a big deal unless it's a show car etc. I've also read that the tape on the back isn't very good, so you might want to look into that.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Yeah that's the same thing I've been hearing to
    Current Mustangs
    1966 6 cylinder coupe
    1984 SVO 9W
    1985 Saleen #132

I have not used the 79-84 moldings yet. I will be buying a set for both my 82 RS and my 82 GT in the future. I have used the 85/86 body side moldings. Overall they are decent quality. The profile is not exactly the same as some OEM pieces that I have, but the average person will never notice nor care. I definitely would recommend using all the wheel to wheel moldings as either OEM or Aftermarket as the slight difference in profile might be more visible. Worse case, compare the moldings and decided for yourself.

I highly recommend using the 3M adhesion promoter to help improve the bond with the applied tape on the aftermarket moldings. I have had much better luck when doing that. The same is true with any double side tape even 3M VHB tape, but definitely with anything less. You can often get the 3M AP from your local Oreilly auto parts, but you may have to get the manager or an employee that deals with auto body shops as the AP is usually kept in the back stock room not on the sales floor. Comes in small handy wipe pouches. I generally recommend 6 total wipes as a minimum if doing all the moldings at one time. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Yah especially the molding ends which, over time, like to curl away after reinstall.

Recently bought a roll of Avery 1/2" red safety reflective tape to renew old red/black stripes. 25' should do it.
    Can leave solid red or run 1/4" black pinstripe down the middle of the 1/2" red to reveal dual 1/8" red stripes.
    Makes a dark colored car more visible at night. Solid red really pops nicely. The black stripe tones it down.
    Last edited by gr79; 10-27-2019 at 09:00 PM.

The tape is Horrible! My drivers side door piece feel off, thankfully it happened while it was sitting in th garage. 4 weeks later, I noticed the pass side was starting to become loose, so I went ahead and peeled it off. Thankfully the paint was not harmed.
    I bought some 3m tape and plan on using that on the moldings and trying again. Hopefully they stay put this time.

3M is the brand to use reattaching moldings and emblems.
    https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3241071&rt=rud

After removing molding from car, found the old foam tape comes off nicely using Roloc TR coarse (brown) type disks and an angle grinder.
    Sort of a slow go, but this does not damage the silver colored part of the molding and the disks do not goo up much.

Comes in 1/2" and 7/8" width. The molding's silver colored tape area is 1" wide top and bottom, at least mine are.
    I like to run the tape along the outer edges of molding rather than offset it so there is no 'channel' to trap water, debris.
    Then seal any gaps at the ends of the moldings.

Have to redo mine. The moldings look the same, but forgot the molding edges, at the hinge end of the doors, have angle cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I highly recommend using the 3M adhesion promoter to help improve the bond with the applied tape on the aftermarket moldings. I have had much better luck when doing that. The same is true with any double side tape even 3M VHB tape, but definitely with anything less. You can often get the 3M AP from your local Oreilly auto parts, but you may have to get the manager or an employee that deals with auto body shops as the AP is usually kept in the back stock room not on the sales floor. Comes in small handy wipe pouches. I generally recommend 6 total wipes as a minimum if doing all the moldings at one time. Good Luck!
    Also breaking the surface with some very fine sandpaper will help give the VHB tape something to bite into. It doesn't have to be the entire area under the trim. Just a good stripe down through the center of the area where it will come into contact.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

FEP Senior Member

I have the whole set of the repro mouldings on my 81 hatch. The quality is very good and they matched perfect with the bumper cover ends (the external fender mouldings are in fact thicker than the center area ones, and the repros are that way as well). The door mouldings are not short, they had the correct length, but do take into mind that you still need to leave them in the sun or heat them slightly before the installation to make them more pliable and stretch them a bit before sticking them.

You need to use the adhesion promoter to make them stick correctly to the car, and that is actually stated in the installation instructions.

I do recommend them. I honestly don't see much difference compared to the original ones on my other car.