Close

Default New here... '81 ttop Coupe

Hey everyone, finally got a mustang now to peel back the layers. Ran the VIN and it was a V6 base model from the factory with the ttop option. Can someone help me as to what this hood is? Someone mentioned that it appears that the previous owner bolted the GT scoop onto the base hood and there should be an opening on the underside of the hood for the scoop. Is this true?

Name:  IMG_6627-X2.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  550.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6669-X2.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  185.4 KB

Name:  IMG_6657-X2.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  157.9 KB

The VIN alone will not tell you anything about the T-roof option, unless you have access to Ford's production database. Marti Auto Works is the only one that has that access. To know if the T-roof was ordered and installed as a factory option you need the door tag, buck tag, owner card, build sheet, or window sticker.

That hood scoop was standard on ...

1979 Cobra
    1979 any model with a 2.3T engine, excluding 1979 Pace Car
    1980-81 any models with 2.3T engine, excluding 1980-81 Cobra
    1982 GT with 2.3T or 5.0L engine

On all other 1979-82 models except 1979 Pace Car and 1980-81 Cobra it was optional.

Need to see the buck tag to know it the scoop was installed at the factory.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks for the reply and info. Buck tag is here:

Name:  IMG_6626-XL.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  115.6 KB

Ttop coupe, great car. I would love a t top coupe. Enjoy!
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Buck Tag
    MUSTANG = Mustang model line
    210701 = 110,701st 1981 Ford scheduled for production at Dearborn Assembly
    66B = Mustang 2-dr sedan (coupe)
    B = 3.3L I6 engine
    TR = T-roof
    039_ = body & paint rotations #039_
    3HH = Medium Blue Glow exterior paint color
    DF
    ST
    02 = YES rear defrost
    HB = heated backlite (rear defrost)
    01 = no hood scoop
    -B = Medium Wedgewood Blue interior trim color
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thank you sir! I'll take the TR code being valid though!

I got a hood from a 79 or 80 Capri with the 3.3L that has that scoop on it. The bottom structure of the hood is like yours, no cut out.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

@billkandi That's interesting. I believe aside from the paint job, the only mod this thing had was the hood scoop. We'll see if I can sell it, who knows.

FEP Senior Member

You'll find that anything original off that car is valuable. Parts for the early cars are getting harder and harder to find. It looks like it has plenty of surface rust all over the car, so if you have the time and space I'd take it literally down to a shell and start over on it. You could have it blasted to get to the bare metal and see what the car really looks like. Sunroof and T-top cars always seem to have some leaks over time and start to rot the floor some amount. I only had surface rust in my sunroof car, but plenty of cracks in the floor metal from normal use. It looks like a great project.