Close

Default Temp gauge acting weird

I’ve been noticing that my temp gauge has been acting weird lately in my Saleen. All summer it has been between the n and the r. The only time it had gone past the r is when I was stuck in traffic with the ac on on a 100 deg day. Never went past m which is a needle width or two past middle. Not overheating but hotter than it normally is. My commute to work is about 20 miles freeway and about 6-7 miles stop and go each way.

In the last month or so I have noticed the temp gauge at c like the car isn’t running during my commute. Then other times it is normal. Last week when I drive the car I noticed the gauge at c again when I was close to home so when I got home I popped the hood and jiggled the wires on the temp sensor and tapped the thermostat housing. Nothing changed gauge was stuck at c. Drove the car yesterday and today since the weather was nice. Yesterday on the way to work when I was on the freeway the temp gauge was on the m of normal and it was like 50 deg out. I got to work and I popped the hood. I noticed I lost one of the bolts to the fan shroud. Radiator was full, no leaks. On the way home temp gauge was on the r. Temp was like 60 outside. When I got home last night I replaced the missing bolt on the fan shroud. On the way to work today I didn’t pay attention to the gauge til I was almost to work. I think it was on the o. On the way home tonight I kept an eye on it. Was between n and r most 2/3rd of the way home. Then it dropped to the n for about 5 min. Then it went to c for almost the rest of the way home which was about 7-8 miles. I noticed the needle come up to n about 2 miles from my house for about 30 seconds and then it went back to c. Got home again and jiggled wires, tapped the thermostat housing. No change, gauge was still at C. All other gauges are normal. Oil pressure and gas gauge read normal. No fluctuation.

So all this leads me to my question on what is going on? I am not sure what is going out. I replaced the thermostat earlier this year. Car has almost 192k. Have not replaced the radiator, temp sender, or fan clutch since I have owned the car which has been almost 11 years. I replaced the water pump and alternator the first week I bought the car. Gas mileage has beeN consistent at 20-21 which I am happy with.

Not sure where the issue is? Any ideas? Any input would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Tigger; 10-24-2019 at 11:56 PM.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Change the water temp sensor and check the wire for cracks. when all else fails put a mechanical auxiliary gauge some where. You don't want to be driving along thinking things are good and end up with steam out the tailpipes. Trust me!!
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
    Albert Einstein

1984 20th Anniversary GT350
    Almost "Stock"

Sometimes a sticky thermostat will cause the temp gauge to bounce around or the temp sensor is getting sketchy. The factory stuff is not known for it's accuracy, but since there's been a change in behavior, something is up. Otherwise, time to check all that other stuff; rad, hoses, wiring, w.p., etc. But intermittent stuff usually points to electrical/wiring/grounds in my mind.

FEP Power Member

Check your IVR. Headlights on or blower on will cause the alternator to put out a different voltage and the IVR may not by compensating.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Drove the car to work today again. Temp gauge came up a couple times to the O but did not stay there for very long before dropping back to C. Headlights were not on on the commute to work and neither was the blower motor.

I will take a closer look at the wiring over the weekend.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

radiator low on water?

No radiator is full and expansion tank is full at the cold line.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

FEP Senior Member

I notice in mine that when I add an electrical load to my car the temp gauge goes way up. It's how I first started to recognize my alternator was undersized. My car will run at the R/M at 12.8volts, but start creeping up to the L if I run my headlights (LED conversion) or the blower. It could just be the wiring not carrying enough voltage, etc. You could also get a laser pyrometer for pretty cheap at Harbor Freight, and when it starts acting funny start checking around the system. It can tell you where it's hot or cold on the various parts.