Close

Default 86 front bumper on a 84

Hey all, might have a chance at a nice front bumper from a 86. Thinking about putting it on my 84. Will it fit pretty easy and what's all involved? I know its frowned upon to change these cars with parts from later years so I'm hoping I'm not going against rules. Still keeping it 4 eye. 🤘 Oh and it's a actual front from a 86 not a reproduction.
    Last edited by Sask84gt; 10-22-2019 at 08:10 AM.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

The swapping of Four eyed bumper covers from one four eye to another is within the tenants of FEP. The swapping of aero bumper covers is not.

Hopefully the 86 is a complete front bumper cover assembly including the headlight support and the additional metal brackets the 85/86 covers use. If your 84 is the later 84.5 with fog lamps then your fender extension will bolt up to the 85/86 cover with no problem. The hood will mate up too, so essentially a bolt on. Your body side moldings are completely different so that will need to be addressed if that is a concern for you, otherwise you are good to go. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The swapping of Four eyed bumper covers from one four eye to another is within the tenants of FEP. The swapping of aero bumper covers is not.

Hopefully the 86 is a complete front bumper cover assembly including the headlight support and the additional metal brackets the 85/86 covers use. If your 84 is the later 84.5 with fog lamps then your fender extension will bolt up to the 85/86 cover with no problem. The hood will mate up too, so essentially a bolt on. Your body side moldings are completely different so that will need to be addressed if that is a concern for you, otherwise you are good to go. Good Luck!
    Thanks Trey. From the pic the headlights come with it so it should have all the stuff. My car is a 84.5 with the fogs so it should bolt up. Concerning the body side mouldings are they that much different? I don't want to get into changing out body panels and all that just to have this front on. I dont hate my original 84 front that much. Lol I just figured if it was a easy switch and the price was right I'd do it.
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

The body side moldings are 79-84 for Mustangs and 85/86. Personally they are very different, but your opinion may vary. It would drive me crazy, but I am a bit anal retentive when it comes to issues like this. In order to make it all match you would need all the body side moldings which are reproduced (@$350) and a matching rear bumper cover that is not reproduced so you will need a good used one of those.

Personally the 84.5 GT is a 1/2 year only option so they are unique and rare. I personally would stick with it and not change anything. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    The body side moldings are 79-84 for Mustangs and 85/86. Personally they are very different, but your opinion may vary. It would drive me crazy, but I am a bit anal retentive when it comes to issues like this. In order to make it all match you would need all the body side moldings which are reproduced (@$350) and a matching rear bumper cover that is not reproduced so you will need a good used one of those.

Personally the 84.5 GT is a 1/2 year only option so they are unique and rare. I personally would stick with it and not change anything. Good Luck!
    I'm thinking I'm going to stick with the 84 front and buy the 86 as a spare just in case something unfortunate happens. Knock on wood lol
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt