Close

Default 1985 Exhaust Header Differences

This follows from the thread on 1985 exhaust systems. I've posted the header differences I've found here so it is on a separate thread.

Previous thread is:

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...ipe-for-85-5-0

I have what I believe are two sets of 1985 Mustang stainless headers. They are quite different with different engineering numbers on them. The engineering numbers are stamped at the rear of the heat stove cover and include the Ford oval logo.

The first set are shown in the pictures below. They are: Left W E4ZE 9429 BC and Right W E4ZE 9428 BB. The "Z" stamping is really hard to read and could be something else. These are four tube headers that are very similar to the 1986 and up headers except for the heat riser provision on the collector on the Left (Driver) side.

Name:  IMG_2534R.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  73.5 KBName:  IMG_2535R.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  54.0 KB

The second set are shown in the pictures below. They are Left W ED E55E 9429 BA and Right W ED E55E 9428 DA. Note that these are also four tube headers but one of the tubes is welded to the first tube to create a three tube header at the collector. The heat stoves are also very different.

Name:  IMG_2530R.jpg
Views: 531
Size:  72.5 KBName:  IMG_2528R.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  64.1 KB

The photo below shows the collector end with the four tubes in one and the three tubes in the other.

Name:  IMG_2531R.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  66.2 KB

I previously thought that the three tubes were early and the four tubes were late but that does not seem to correlate with the engineering numbers. Anyone know anything about these specific differences?

FEP Power Member

This has been discussed before. I believe Fox Chassis documented that the second version is for the convertible as they have motor mounts which sit lower.

Correction. JACook is the expert on this.
    Last edited by KevinK; 10-21-2019 at 06:55 PM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Can you provide a link to that thread?

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...aust-Manifolds

Have a nice day 86!

KevinK is being modest.

Quote Originally Posted by JACook View Post
    The 4-into-1 vs 4-into-3-into-1 shorty header differences were about clearance to the convertible engine
    mounts. The convertible engine mounts are larger than the ones used in coupes and hatchbacks.

A few years back I did a mockup of both styles that shows the differences. The mockup was done using
    the original block and heads from my '85 Vert, and new factory-issue convertible-specific engine mounts.

The 4-3-1 headers are original to my '85 Vert. The 4-into-1 headers are the original ones from my '85
    hatch.

First, the 4-into-1, passenger side:

Next, the same mockup using the 4-into-3-into-1 design:

Likewise, the driver-side 4-into-1:

And finally, the driver-side 4-into-3-into-1:

The E55E set should be for the Lincoln Continental Mk VII.

Ford rolled out the performance versions of the CFi and Port EFi versions top down. The port EFi came in Lincoln LSC's (without high swirl heads), and a variant of the 180 hp CFi High Out put.

For compromised clearances like the Capri ASC vert and Mustang Convertible, the header part number is ex Lincoln, with the grouping and divider changes.

Thanks everyone. Much appreciated.

Does this mean that the E55E headers I have came on a Lincoln LSC and if so are they the same physically as a Mustang header but different engineering number?

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by xctasy View Post
    Ford rolled out the performance versions of the CFi and Port EFi versions top down. The port EFi came in Lincoln LSC's (without high swirl heads), and a variant of the 180 hp CFi High Out put.

For compromised clearances like the Capri ASC vert and Mustang Convertible, the header part number is ex Lincoln, with the grouping and divider changes.
    Unless it was specified on the Option code D32 list, Ford did not make any engine modifications for the ASC convertibles. In addition, ASC also used some off the line completed cars for the 85/86 conversions. I doubt the convertible headers were used on the 85 ASC cars. I should look at mine to confirm.

Update: I finally got a chance to install my ceramic coated header. It seems to be the 3 into 1 version.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KevinK; 11-11-2019 at 01:10 AM.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Unless it was specified on the Option code D32 list, Ford did not make any engine modifications for the ASC convertibles. In addition, ASC also used some off the line completed cars for the 85/86 conversions. I doubt the convertible headers were used on the 85 ASC cars. I should look at mine to confirm.
    The Capri's had a different DSO (7095) when they were ordered by ASC. They also have a serial number that starts with '1MH'. The 85 ASC convertible that I used to have was equipped with the convertible exhaust manifolds, along with other convertible features such as the door braces and door panels. The ones that were pulled off the line (regular s/n starting with '1ME') I assume would have the normal exhaust manifolds.
    79 Mustang Coupe - Jade Green Metallic - 5.0 5Sp - Purchased 2006
    17 Mustang Convertible - Triple Yellow Tri-Coat - 3.7l Auto - Purchased 2020
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    01 Mustang - 3.8 Auto True Blue - Oct 2001- Apr 2022 RIP
    85 ASC - McLaren 5.0 SC - ASC White - 5.0 CFI Auto - Owned 2004 - 2016
    98 Mustang - White - 3.8 5pd - Owned 1998 - 2001
    84 Mustang SSP - White - 5.0 5sp - Owned 1993 - 1998
    84 SVO - Charcoal - 2.3t 5Sp - Owned 1989 -1992
    79 Mustang Ghia - 5.0 Auto - Owned 1981 - 1986
    68 Mustang Coupe - 302 Auto, Yellow - Owned 1980 - 1981

Crazy ford did all this oddball stuff

My 85 has yet another header design.

I love the look of the grey (or is it gray? lol) ceramic coated headers. Looks really good.

I appreciated reading both of these 1985 exhaust discussion threads (and the comparison photos!) and the contributions everyone made. I'll have to go out and examine my own (1985 5.0L M/T) factory exhaust, I have the complete system out in the garage. When I bought my 85 Capri, I ended up spending another $1500 for the guy to send the original factory exhaust (and a few other odds & ends) with the car. Way overpriced but I wanted to get the original exhaust pieces back while I still could.