Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The hole in your 2nd & 3rd pic are for a dipstick tube provision. That's used on other applications that have a front-sump oil pan. Since yours is a rear, it's not used. You should be able to go down to the auto supply and find a press-in metal plug to close that up the right way. I forget the size... just bring the cover to match it up. Looks like a mini freeze plug.

As for the other holes, I believe they are used for the water pump. Double check your block and make sure no bolts are broken off.
    Last edited by graphicdesigner80; 02-07-2020 at 04:48 PM.
    84.5 GT Convertible Build Thread
    86 LX Coupe

FEP Super Member

That cover would also be for a normal rotation , non fox body water pump .
    You should just find the correct timing cover .
    clowns to the left of me , Jokers to the right

Slowly, but surely. Assembly has been taking awhile but Im not in too big of a rush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Engine is about ready to drop in the car. Does anyone know how to properly put the dipstick assembly into the block? Does it use a grommet or a bracket of some sort?

The car is running. Rebuilding the carburetor right now and cleaning up the spark plug wires. It has good oil pressure too! Pretty excited to get it driving soon.

I am still battling the wiring issues though. It is very overwhelming trying to find out where loose wires and stray connectors go.

Looks good. I don’t envy your 84 wiring issues. I had an 84 convertible with a boat load of miles and the engine harness would give me fits on occasion.
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

The car is home! Before I really start driving it I need to change tranny fluid, replace rear diff gasket, and make sure all my lights and gauges work. The previous owner had the firing order set up for the non H.O engine which was causing the car to run horrible. Cylinder 5 was never firing. After troubleshooting, my father and I figured out the firing order for my engine is the H.O (1-3-7-2-6-5-4- Turns out the engine is also an 83 and I thought Ford didn’t make the H.O back then. But after research I found that Ford made the H.O in 82 with just a hydraulic cam and not with the roller cam. I believe it is an old 351W cam from an old Torino is what I read that Ford put into the H.O 302. Before I thought only H.O engines had hydraulic rollers. I am a rookie and my father is a chevy guy so this threw us in a confusing loop for a day trying to diagnose the misfiring and poor idling. It is running great and we believe the engine’s temperature was hotter than it has been in years since it is running fine now haha. Either way I am extremely excited to be getting this thing going, I have extra time since school is shut down now.

New rack and pinion installed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12