Close

Default Parts Car things to keep

A friend and I have purchased a ‘90 Mustang that we will be parting out this weekend. There are parts we each want and we’ve made plans to sell what’s not scrap at the next swap meet.

Obviously we’ll take the major items like engine and rearend and any good body panels,
    Is there anything I should definitely keep to sell or for my own inventory that I might overlook like hard to find trim or interior parts?

With all the reproduction parts available these days I don’t really know what has value in used parts and I’d hate to scrap a hard to replace item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought a 90 GT vert 5 years ago minus drive train. It was a 96k roller that was smacked in the rear. Car had a nice black interior. Paid $350 for it and grossed over $5k parting that thing out. It was the gift that kept on giving. Kept a few parts for my personal car but I litterly sold every single part but the shell that was good off that car. I have maybe 3 things left off it that I would sell. I sold the majority on eBay. Large stuff on Craigslist and some on the corral. Foxbody stuff sells well. If you have the space and time I suggest taking everything off that is in good shape and selling it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Tigger; 10-18-2019 at 01:39 AM.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Another thing I’m going to mention, when I part out a car I go on eBay and search the completed items on that model to see what parts are selling and for how much. You will get an idea what to keep and what not to keep. I parted a 96 V6 vert this year with a dead motor. I was surprised how much 3.8 engine parts sell for. I think I have grossed over $700 off that dead motor selling parts other than the short block and heads.
    67 Mustang Coupe
    96 Tangerine GT
    86 Saleen #179

Make sure that the steering wheel is centered and remove the clock spring assembly from the column. Once removed, tape it so that it doesn't rotate. They are worth money as no one makes a replacement.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Thanks!
    I haven’t actually seen the car, my friends neighbour had it, I’m told it runs and drives, has roller rockers and headers and it’s an LX with some sort of ground effects kit. The subframe and torque boxes are rotted out.
    The seller said one good burnout would probably tear the car in half.

Thanks!
    I haven’t actually seen the car, my friends neighbour had it, I’m told it runs and drives, has roller rockers and headers and it’s an LX with some sort of ground effects kit. The subframe and torque boxes are rotted out.
    The seller said one good burnout would probably tear the car in half.

If it has a map light assy. get it. I don't know of any aftermarket replacements being available and they do come apart.

FEP Senior Member

If you have the space to keep the car, take every single piece off it and sell it. I think I made $3k on parts from a wrecked '92 and I kept the complete drivetrain and fuel system from it. Traded more profitable aero body panels for hard to find 4-eye body panels, and then scrapped the damaged body for a few bucks. If you have the time and space for it all, you'll be able to sell everything.