Close

Default '79 Ghia coupe seats

These backs do not recline-tilt , just slide from the factory and extremely uncomfortable, i'm 6'2. So-can I take an '83-93 fox seat assembly and bolt my Seats on, to get full adjustability ? I'm sure it's not that easy though-what gives ? Id like to keep the original Ghia white vinyl if I can to match the back

FEP Power Member

Any seat from 79 to 04 should bolt right in. Seat tracks vary slightly. They added a second seat track lock sometime after 84 and I’m told the tracks or seats are slightly higher in the later 80s. Myself at 6’2”, I use seat track extensions in my 84, svo, 85 and 89. I’m kind of ok in my 03.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Any seat from 79 to 04 should bolt right in. Seat tracks vary slightly. They added a second seat track lock sometime after 84 and I’m told the tracks or seats are slightly higher in the later 80s. Myself at 6’2”, I use seat track extensions in my 84, svo, 85 and 89. I’m kind of ok in my 03.
    Thanks for the reply but i realize any '79-04 seat assembly will bolt in-i'm trying to keep my original seats but have the adjustability

The power tilt frames will bolt to your seats, but two of the holes may not line up. The holes are there but you just have to tap them, the factory bolts are somewhat self tapping so its not that hard.
    The mechanical lever assy you lift up on to recline the seat back on the side of the seat would have to come from a similar style seat. I have used Tempo parts to make seats recline when putting 4 door seats in a 2 door car and when replacing broken recline parts so they are a good place to source parts.
    Removing or rolling up 40 year old upholstery to change seat mechanisms can have mixed results, make sure its warm and its less likely to be damaged.
    1978 Mercury Zephyr boxtop 5.0 EFI T5Z 8.8
    1999 Ford Contour 2.5 V6 5 speed
    2016 Ford Focus ST 2.0 Ecoboost 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by ukravit View Post
    The power tilt frames will bolt to your seats, but two of the holes may not line up. The holes are there but you just have to tap them, the factory bolts are somewhat self tapping so its not that hard.
    The mechanical lever assy you lift up on to recline the seat back on the side of the seat would have to come from a similar style seat. I have used Tempo parts to make seats recline when putting 4 door seats in a 2 door car and when replacing broken recline parts so they are a good place to source parts.
    Removing or rolling up 40 year old upholstery to change seat mechanisms can have mixed results, make sure its warm and its less likely to be damaged.
    Thanks-all I really need is the mechanical lever assembly, now that you say tempo-these early seats are shaped a lot like them, guess i'll have to hunt some yards for a seat