Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Winter weather has been slowing progress on the Bird working in a carport. Last weekend was a bust with sleet and snow. Yesterday was still cold, but at least it was sunny so we pulled most of the parts we need from the Zephyr. I'm pretty sure the only thing left is the front struts.

Parts we pulled from the Zephyr yesterday:

Pioneer 3.5" speakers
    Pioneer 6x8" speakers
    Mustang shifter
    coil
    Duraspark box and wiring
    Equus oil pressure gauge, temp gauge, voltmeter
    Sunpro Tachometer
    speedometer gear
    throttle cable
    headlight bulbs
    Mustang power steering hoses
    Mustang GT front sway bar
    Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

Got the Mustang floor shifter installed today! I used a shifter trim from a manual Turbo Coupe and improvised with some dense foam to fill in the gap until I come up with a more permanent solution, but I think it looks right at home. All that's left now is installing the front sway bar and power steering hoses then we can drop the motor in.

Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads w/ Trick Flow springs, E303 cam, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4bbl, 85 Mustang dizzy, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD & shifter, Mustang 8.8 w/ 3.73s, Mustang front & rear sway bars, KYB 87-88 TC struts & shocks, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, o/r H pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant & firewall adjuster, and 3.27s
    (86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

Looking good! That is so weird that it had a console and a column shift!
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Looking good! That is so weird that it had a console and a column shift!
    Yea it is, but it was common on 83-84 Thunderbirds and Cougars.

My Dad got the Mustang front sway bar and the new power steering hoses bolted on the other day, and today we dropped the motor in!

I also pressure washed the double hump transmission crossmember to get it ready

After we got the motor and trans bolted in, we pressed new u joints in the driveshaft and installed it. The driveshaft came from an 87 Cougar 5.0, and it's a nice fit.

I picked up a few new parts too!

Matt

My 84 Tbird was a 5.0 CFI with a column shift and console. Miss that car.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

My brothers 83 Cougar was column shift with console also.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Yesterday we had great weather; it was 70 degrees and sunny here. So we decided to set in on the exhaust first. The exhaust is a Mac off road H pipe for a Mustang and Dynomax Ultra Flo welded mufflers with turn downs from the Zephyr.

We also installed the Mustang exhaust brackets, which bolted right on both sides. The Mustang exhaust brackets move the rubber hangers about an inch further toward the back of the car than the Tbird bracket is, but it didn't matter in our case because the exhaust came from the Zephyr which is a longer wheelbase than a Tbird.

The H pipe fit fine, but the mufflers are gonna need new wire hangers because the wire hangers are too long and too far back so the mufflers are hanging too low and the rubber hangers are being pulled towards the back of the car by the exhaust. So once we get the car running I'll need to stop by a muffler shop and get new wire hangers made. The passenger side muffler is an inch away from the fuel lines so hopefully that's far enough away to stop them from getting too hot.

I also hooked up the wiring and speedo cable to the transmission. I didn't have to cut the trans harness even though the AOD and C5 use different connectors thanks to a harness from the Zephyr. From the factory, the Zephyr had a 2.3 and a C3 which uses the same neutral safety switch as an AOD. So it came with a short adapter harness from the factory. Tbirds and Mustangs might have the same adapter harness for an AOD or C3 in TCs.

After that I got the Mustang throttle cable installed while Dad hooked up the power steering hoses and put the radiator fan on. We have a fan shroud from an 87 5.0 Cougar, but he installed the Mustang shroud so I'll swap those out next time.

Matt

Well with Coronamania going on seems like a good time to get away and work on the project car!

First thing got the correct fan shroud on. It's from an 87 Cougar 5.0

Then I took ya'lls advice and wrapped the fuel lines in DEI cool tape. Better safe than sorry. The pics make it look like it's touching the muffler, but it's not.

I had some seeping around my rubber valve cover gaskets so I picked up some valve cover tabs and put them on.

I don't know what happened to the switch panel trim piece on this car, but it was bent and half the paint was gone so I peeled it the rest of the way off and painted it with satin black and Dymo labeled the words on it. Then I straightened it out and reattached it. Not the greatest, but it's better than it was until I do something else.

After that we set in on getting the gauges in. We made three holes in the lighter panel for the gauges, and it tuned out pretty well except we got let down by a wobbly harbor freight hole saw. So they're not exactly even, but they fit and it's good enough for me. The oil pressure and temp gauges are hooked up, and the lights are wired up, but the voltmeter will have to wait until the battery is in so I can find a switched power wire.

Matt

When I had my TBird, I looked high and low for a busted TCoupe to pirate the instrument cluster out of. There was an article in Super Ford magazine way back around 88 that showed how to make a 4 cyl tach work for a V8. Never could find one. fast forward about 15-16 yrs later and I FINALLY find an XR-7 with a tach cluster in it. Haven't had the Bird since 89, but I've got the cluster I wanted. Packed safely away for when/if I get another 84 Bird.
    84 Capri RS Turbo
    Vinemont, AL (formerly El Mirage, AZ)
    USAF 1986-2007 (Ret)

I did some "social distancing" aka working on the car last week, and ran into a fueling issue.

Today I set in on the fuel pump and found the hose between the pump and the hanger was rotten. I went ahead and replaced the pump while I was there.

After I got the fuel pump done I changed the trans filter and put on a Summit Racing transmission pan with a drain plug.

After that, I started it up and made a short video

Startup video

It's running, but there's still plenty of work left to do.

I also picked up a couple parts from Facebook Marketplace

Matt

Looking good! I'd be really excited about that shifter bezel .

I like the gauge install too. It's clean. I'm finding myself needing to do something like that.

Did you print white label text on a clear sheet for the console switch bezel? If so, I'd like to see a closer look at that.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Looking good! I'd be really excited about that shifter bezel .

I like the gauge install too. It's clean. I'm finding myself needing to do something like that.

Did you print white label text on a clear sheet for the console switch bezel? If so, I'd like to see a closer look at that.
    Thanks, yea I'm interested to see how it fits with the Mustang shifter. Yea, I think it's the best spot of the available options for 83-84 dashes to add gauges.

I'm planning on going with some labels cut with a Silhouette machine, but right now it just has labels made with a Dymo labeler just temporary.
    Matt

Made some more progress on the car!

First thing getting the fuel injection wiring out of the engine bay

Finished hooking up the gauges and tach. Then I installed the Grant steering wheel and floor shift column cover. The automatic floor shift shifter bezel I bought didn't fit because it's for an 85 and newer so the manual bezel stays until I can find an automatic shifter bezel for an 84.

So I found the heater core was leaking so I bypassed it for now. I also did a tune up with new Motorcraft plugs, MSD wires, Accel cap and rotor, and MSD coil.

Matt

Today I installed the center caps and gave the Bird a bath. There's still plenty of work to do, but it's getting there.

Thunderbird 10 holes have a bird on the center caps, but I'm using the center caps from the Mustang parts car so they have the Ford oval. I already have them and the Thunderbird is a Ford so they're good enough for me lol.

Matt

The ol’ bird is looking good. What’s next on the list? The 10 holes made a huge difference. And I like the steering wheel also. If you could get a T-bird decal for the center of the horn button that would be cool. Keep up the great work .

Quote Originally Posted by ISTLCRUZ View Post
    The ol’ bird is looking good. What’s next on the list? The 10 holes made a huge difference. And I like the steering wheel also. If you could get a T-bird decal for the center of the horn button that would be cool. Keep up the great work .
    Well, I have a new stereo and speakers to install. I need to replace the seatbelt receptacle sleeves. I have 87+ Mustang front spindles and brakes to install. I also need to get a/c on the car. So there's plenty to do still!
    Matt

those wheels look right at home on there

Got the buffer out and hit the paint with polishing compound today.

Matt

I replaced the Mac H pipe this weekend because it wouldn't seal at the headers because the flanges aren't right. The holes for the studs are too narrow so you have to grind the holes out to get them to bolt on. But even then it still leaks so I got a Jegs H pipe, which is similar to a BBK and put it on. It didn't wanna line up at first, but I kept working with it and got it to bolt up and no leaks!

I tapped the smog pump tube and plugged it with a 3/8 pipe plug.

To finish up the shifter bezel I decided to try using an 87-93 Mustang automatics shifter bezel seal with the Thunderbird shifter bezel so I ordered a new bezel seal from LMR. I just took the bezel off and sat the Mustang bezel seal on the shifter and put the Thunderbird bezel back on. Seems like it did a pretty good job of filling the gap between the shifter and the Thunderbird bezel so I'm gonna call it good.

I also installed my Pioneer speakers. They're a huge improvement over the 35 year old factory speakers!

Matt

This weekend we started work on the next project for the Thunderbird. Since it's starting to get warm we're getting the a/c going!

But before we can put a/c on the car we gotta deal with the leaking heater core so me and Dad tackled it. We also replaced the blower motor while we had the heater box out.

The sleeves on the seat belt receptacles were trashed so while I had the seats out I replaced them with receptacles from a 1986 Mustang that have new sleeves from LMR. They fit on the Tbird seats pretty well. You'll also need the receptacle bolt from the Mustang and just put it through the other direction and bolt it to the Tbird seat.

Last edited by 5.0 bird; 05-25-2020 at 09:24 PM.
    Matt

Wow
    nice T bird!
    79 Zephyr, 4.6L 4v/4r70w swap, with team z front and rear suspension, 8.8 and upgraded brakes and coil overs. Running Holley Terminator X Max.

Thanks!

Installed the a/c compressor and hoses, and ran hoses to the heater core today. After that we pulled a vacuum on the system to boil it out. Next is charging the a/c and hopefully there will be cold air!

Matt

Finished up the a/c yesterday. First off, I needed to bypass the WOT cutout relay to get power to the cycling switch. Since the ECM partially controls the a/c, and it's in the dark about what the engine is doing, it won't send power to the cycling switch through the relay. No big deal just gotta remember to turn the a/c off before I hammer it. After that I added oil and freon. It was 98 here yesterday and it was blowing high 40s out the vents so I'm happy.

Matt

I enjoyed reading all of this. Reminds me of when I first got into cars and started working on my Vic...and still am. Nice work and keep having fun. Parents had an 86 5.0 tbird. They sold it off long before I was old enough to start driving. Would love to have that car right now.

Thanks David, glad you enjoyed it!

Been working on a few small projects for the Tbird. First off dealing with the dash registers that kept falling and pointing down.

Went to the hardware store and got some neoprene rubber washers and put them on the registers now they stay where you put them.

Then I installed the Edelbrock 14" air cleaner. This is the air cleaner I originally wanted to put on this motor, but it hit the distributor so I took it back and got the 10" air cleaner. But this time I used a 1/2" spacer to get it right above the distributor.

Finally got my Kenwood stereo installed after I found a radio bezel with the rectangular hole for a modern stereo. I really wanted a bezel without the warning light indicators, but this was all i could find.

Matt

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast