Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Wheels pics are here!

After I sold the TRX wheels I used that money to buy a new set of 245/45-17 Falken Ziex ze950 a/s tires

Then I got covid from my girlfriend, and it turned into covid pneumonia. I stayed out of the hospital thanks to virtual doctor visits where I got antibiotics and steroids. I was out of work for 3 weeks.

Yesterday I was able to get the tires put on the mesh wheels, and get them mounted on the car.

Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4 bbl, 85 Mustang distributor, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 with 3.73s, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, and 3.27s

(86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

I've had decent luck with those tires.

The wheels look sharp on the car.
    83 TC "Clone"
    85 Marquis LTS

Well, the bearing in the 60 amp 1g alternator gave out after 41 years. (Yes, it's older than the Thunderbird) I'd like to see an alternator made in China nowadays last that long! It was also having trouble keeping up with the electrical load from the a/c and headlights especially in traffic. I may be upgrading to electric fans soon too so I decided to upgrade to a 3g 130 amp alternator. I got the kit from Latemodel Restoration Supply with the alternator bracket. You can grind the factory bracket to fit the 130 amp alternator, but for the little extra it costs I'd rather just bolt on a bracket that's made for the 130 amp alternator. The install went smoothly except the alternator bracket doesn't have a threaded hole for the tensioner bolt, and the kit doesn't come with a nut so you need to provide your own nut to attach the belt tensioner. The alternator upgrade made a big difference. It handles the car's electrical loads like it's nothing staying above 13.5 volts at idle in drive with the brakes on and a/c and headlights on high beam. It's no wonder I see so many Mustangs and Thunderbirds with 3g alternator upgrades.

Matt
    1984 Thunderbird -- 1989 302 HO, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Edelbrock Performer 289 intake, Edelbrock 600 4 bbl, 85 Mustang distributor, Jegs o/r h pipe, Dynomax mufflers, Mustang AOD and shifter, Mustang 8.8 with 3.73s, and Mustang 11" front brakes.

1988 Mustang GT hatch -- Explorer intake, GT40 heads with Trick Flow spring kit, Crane 1.7 rrs, E303 cam, 70mm MAF, 70mm throttle body, Dynomax mufflers, Kirban Kwik shifter w/ Pro 5.0 Deluxe handle, clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, and 3.27s

(86 Mercury Cougar 5.0, 89 Lincoln Mark VII LSC 5 speed, 80 Mercury Zephyr 4 door) sold

Bit late but thanks for the review of the lmr kit. Was looking for that.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2219 met Tapatalk

Any updates on this Tbird? Car came together really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by ISTLCRUZ View Post
    Any updates on this Tbird? Car came together really nice.
    Thanks! Not much has been happening with the Thunderbird, but here's a small update.

I removed the body mouldings between the wheels because they were peeling up and warped. I also painted the lower body satin black. The speedometer was so worn it was basically useless so I started searching for a good one. The only speedometer I could find was on ebay in Canada. It was a good price too so it arrived 3 weeks later, and now the Thunderbird has a kilometer speedometer. It works good, I just have to read the inside numbers for mph. It does have one advantage, in that it goes to 110 mph instead of only 85.

What's next for the Thunderbird.

The rear main seal and transmission tailshaft seal are leaking so those need to be replaced.

I also wanna put in a 3 row aluminum radiator

A good set of shorty headers

87-88 TC front struts and strut mounts or caster camber plates so I can replace the strut mounts I had to modify for the Mustang struts.

I also wanna put a cam in the motor at some point.
    Matt

She is a looker. Love it. I like the decision to paint the lower half of the car.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234