Close

Default Looking to make a tribute car - need inspiration and pictures!

I’m hours from starting my new to me 1983 GT Mustang. My son and I disassembled a 94 f150 to get a good running roller 302 for this car. Last weekend the engine went in. I bought it as a roller someone was junking, because it had been in an accident with just 54k, many years ago and has a salvage title.

When I bought it I was reminded of my 89 GT daily driver that I would take auto cross racing in the 90s and decided that would be a loose goal for this car. I’m not interested in talking Tech around suspension etc... my goal is fun with my son not so much fast.. What I’m looking for is pictures from the mid-1980s of 1983-84 mustang race cars. Because of all the body/paint work to be done I would like to make a vintage tribute car from this car, especially in paint and graphics.

This is a call for anyone with old pictures to pull them out and help me remake the past.

In my searches, the 83/84 Mustang just wasn't used as often by the "BIG" teams etc. especially in road racing, etc. The Mercury Capri was Ford's flagship at that point in time. It wasn't until 1985/86 that Ford switched back to the Mustang with teams such as Roush/Protofab etc. The same is true with Saleen just starting out with the 84 models and then really getting everything going with the 85 and later models especially in regards to SCCA, etc. There were a decent number of the 79-82 Mustangs used by teams, and they are some cool cars, but the graphics were pretty limited back then. Nothing like the later models and NASCAR of today.

There are plenty of private teams and "smaller" teams that ran Mustangs during that time period. Obviously as a tribute you don't have to be exact in regards to year model or even name brand (Mustang/Capri). Take a look at plenty of SCCA images of the time period. You had Lynn St James running a Capri, Tom Gloy running the Capri, and many others. The 85 models are where things really go big with the Trans Am series and plenty of options there. the question is are you going full out on the vintage race car look to include all the graphics and paint or do you prefer a more street version with some added "Sponsorship decals" The Saleen Mustang body kit and graphics are a great start if that is your desire. Otherwise you can consider the Mac tools SVO of those years, any of the Motorcraft Capri/Mustang, 7-Eleven Capri/Mustang, Budget Mustang, Folgers Mustang, and many others.

I have a decent stash of the GT-1/Trans Am cars with the wide body work etc. that could be replicated on a stock body if you wanted. The question is how wild and crazy do you want to go?

Name:  86wg-18.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  129.3 KB

Name:  64-s4640x410.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  47.9 KB

Name:  82francis1.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  1170676_10152145917867501_362565713_n.jpg
Views: 302
Size:  140.6 KB

Name:  Hybrid Wide Body.JPG
Views: 297
Size:  64.6 KB
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

The Mustang SVO Mac tool car.

Name:  race-car-DS.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  720.3 KB

GT Touring Car

Name:  ford-mustang-gt-touring-car-monza-circuit-was-theatre-monza-historic-event-peter-auto-96317242.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  188.6 KB

Group A touring Car that is an 83/84

Name:  Ford-Mustang-Group-A-124339.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  173.2 KB

Another 83/84 Car

Name:  5a0fa6f1d747e_1984_Bathurst_Falcon__Mustang.jpg.3af3526c5ea3fc64565375f6cf4e37e1.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  39.8 KB

Saleen General Tire Car

Name:  Saleen General tire.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  13.2 KB
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

I do prefer a more street version with some added "Sponsorship decals", I’ve thought about going wide body later but for now I’m something I can have the local vinyl shop create and apply is ideal.
    Last edited by wraithracing; 10-13-2019 at 06:02 PM. Reason: Text color

Obviously any of the paint jobs can be recreated and modified as needed to fit the stock body. A wide body kit is a minimum of $1500 in flared fenders and quarters plus body work, so keep that in mind. No one actually makes the IMSA/Trans Am body work at this time. There is the JBA Dominator replica kits, Maier Racing 1.5 or 3" flared body work, as well as some others. The other big issue with the IMSA/Trans Am body kit is finding or maybe affording the wheels and tires to fill up those fenders and quarters.

At this point, I guess the question is what style, sponsor, color, etc. do you like and what to go with. I might have more pictures depending on your choices and desires.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Those are some outstanding pictures! What a cool project.

Here are some pics from Saleen 1986-19R as well. I have seen this car (as well as 1986-29R) (and a few other vintage Saleen Race cars) in person and have some pictures around. They are really interesting to take in if you look at them closely.

Since I'm not in the mood to go digging for stuff right now here's one from a quick google search.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by erratic50; 10-14-2019 at 12:45 AM.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

Bob Glidden comes to mind....

Name:  Glidden83.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  115.1 KB
    Name:  glidden84.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  34.2 KB

Or Bud/Motorcraft

Name:  Bud.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  183.6 KB

My vote for a tribute, even though it's a Capri

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by brian.aughe View Post
    My vote for a tribute, even though it's a Capri

That is awesome! I have an 83 Capri RS I'm also restoring so this is almost possible... Minus the widebody.

Quote Originally Posted by foot2floor View Post
    That is awesome! I have an 83 Capri RS I'm also restoring so this is almost possible... Minus the widebody.
    That would be awesome to see it done.