Close

Default Help with 85 gt, went from mid rpm stumble to no start.

Hey guys, got an 85 gt, carbed 302. I took over someone elses project. Stock 95 f150 bottom end, with the 85 gt top end. Edelbrock 600cfm carb. bbk shorty headers. Last owner did install new distributor, durapsark and accel coil. Then it sat several years after this. I have the right firing order, verified by watching the intake valves move while hand turning the motor. Timing is set about 10-12 degrees. Also has a holly red fuel pump (7psi, no regulator but i have one getting ready to go on). I have done new plugs, wires and rebuilt the carb. Car starts up and will idle all day. A quick stab at the throttle and it will rev right up to about 2500-3k. If i try to go higher, it stumbles and pops out the carb. By doing some research on this, symptoms of a bad coil will do all of this.

So I replaced the coil today and now it wont even try to start. Switched back to the last coil and same thing. I didnt touch anything else.

FEP Member

Start with the basics -- air, fuel, fire.
    Assuming the air cleaner is off, you should be able to look into the carb and see the accelerator pump squirt fuel when manually opening the throttle.
    Crank the engine with the ignition on, with the coil lead pulled out of the middle of the distributor cap held near a ground, like the block, should see a fat blue spark.
    Let us know what you find.

Check for spark, if none check that 34 year old engine wiring harness to the coil, distributor and Duraspark ignition module.

Its got air and fuel. No spark. Coil is getting power. Might try swapping out the icm to see what happen. Im normally not someone to just through parts at a car, but its a cheap one on there and it will eliminate one are of concern.