Close

FEP Senior Member

Default Big Brake Options

I've been looking at braking options for the future, but there are so many available now. What do you all think for a better brake option? SN95 Cobra calipers, Cadillac ATS calipers (LMR is now selling them), or going with a true big brake kit (Wilwood, etc.)? This will be more for SCCA and Optima outings to prevent fade, yet still capable of driving the car to shows or to get coffee.

Current car setup

Front brakes: 94/95 SN95 5-lug spindles with 97 GT calipers
    Rear Brakes: 97 GT calipers
    Brake Booster: 92 Fox Mustang
    Brake M/C: 94/95 Cobra (15/16")
    Wheel size: 18x10.5" (all 4 corners)
    Tire Size: 315/30-18 BF Goodrich Rival S (all 4 corners)
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

First choice would be Stoptech Big Brake kit or the Trophy Sport Big Brake kit.

Next would be the Wilwood Street Performance 6 piston Superlite kit.

Both are available in 13" or 14" up front.

If you don't want to go all out, then I would use the 03/04 Cobra setup front and rear. Heck of a setup on the street and works pretty well considering the cost on the track. Not in the realm of Stoptech and Wilwood, but then again much cheaper.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

I would tend to agree with the above.

With that said, I think the ATS setup could be done well and economically. I don't think buying the calipers from LMR is the way to go - pretty sure you can source the calipers from Rock Auto or Amazon cheaper than that. There's a guy on Corral who is working on changing out the steel inserts in the calipers so that you don't need to move / hog out the mounting holes in the spindle. Check out this thread - https://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...-03-cobra.html.
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    I would tend to agree with the above.

With that said, I think the ATS setup could be done well and economically. Check out this thread - https://forums.corral.net/forums/gen...-03-cobra.html.
    I found them on Amazon for ~$140 less than LMR, and haven't checked on Rock Auto yet. I'm still finishing up buying all of my rear suspension, which needs more help at the moment than upgrading brakes. I'll look through the thread. It looks pretty in-depth for all the posts. Someone mentioned a newer company called Reaper Brakes out of Florida that have a 6-piston front caliper set-up for SN95 spindles. They are cost competitive with Wilwood based on what I saw today.