Close

Default Hood scoop for 1985 fox body

Any thoughts on a functional, ram-air style hood scoop for a 1985 fox body? It's the original 302, just re-built and beefed up. Thx!

If you are looking for actual ram air, none of them provide a real improvement in performance. If you are just interested for the looks and style, then there are a couple of options.

https://www.cervinis.com/83-86mustang-ram-air-hood.html

https://www.cervinis.com/83-86mustan...rman-hood.html

http://www.hofibertrends.com/1984-19...glasshood.aspx
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks, Trey. I was hoping for some type of small performance increase or, at a minimum, to release some heat from the engine bay. I do not want to replace the whole hood, however, because I want to keep my GT decal that goes down the front. It doesn't look those hoods you listed are compatible with that decal...

An aftermarket cowl hood is probably your best bet for using the OEM hood decal.

The cowl hood can help with heat release from under the hood or you can fabricate your own air cleaner setup to pull cooler air in from the cowl "cowl induction"

Other than that, using the 82 GT forward facing scoop on the stock hood is probably your next best option. Again pretty much a styling exercise, although some have cut the scoop open as well as the hood to try and duct "Ram Air" into the engine. The overall effects will be negligible at best, but if that is what you want, then go for it. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by cnoll76 View Post
    Thanks, Trey. I was hoping for some type of small performance increase or, at a minimum, to release some heat from the engine bay. I do not want to replace the whole hood, however, because I want to keep my GT decal that goes down the front. It doesn't look those hoods you listed are compatible with that decal...
    If you want the OEM style decal, I'd suggest going to a wrap or sign shop that can duplicate it in vinyl. It would be a little difficult to remove the GT to show the paint color (but not impossible), or you could add the GT under the vinyl for an embossed look. More subtle to look at.
    Join The Conversation
    http://www.youtube.com/basinmotorsports

'86 Hatchback V6 / Auto Restomod (For Sale)

Trey, doesn't the 82 GT hood only fit the SVO?

You can put the 82 GT Hood scoop on an 85 hood. You must cut a hole in the hood to make it functional. Summit Ford did it with the Dominators.
    Here are pictures of what it looks like on a Dominator.

Last edited by bluesfannoz; 10-10-2019 at 06:30 PM.
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by cnoll76 View Post
    Trey, doesn't the 82 GT hood only fit the SVO?
    The SVO hood is unique to the SVO Only. More similar in style and shape to the 87-93 Mustangs than any of the 79-86 hoods, but still only fits the 84-86 SVO. With that said, the hood will bolt onto any 79-93 Mustang or 79-86 Capri, but will only correctly match up with the 84-86 SVO front bumper cover.

The 82 GT hood was a standard 79-82 Mustang hood with the bolt on forward facing scoop with the 5.0 engine and just the plain no scoop hood with the 4.2 V8.

The 82 GT hood scoop was used on both the Capri and the 1979 Cobra. The GT hood scoop really fits the shape of the 79-82 hoods, but doesn't look bad on the 83-86 hoods IMHO.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

On my old 82GT, I cut the stock hood scoop front open and ran a open element filter and the kn open filter top. I did it mostly just to let some cooler air in, or let some excess heat out when idleing. Did it work? I have no idea.

I also carried a thick piece of black foam that I could stick in the cutout, if I got caught out in the rain.

I see no reason why you couldn't drill holes and bolt the 82 gt hood scoop on.
    Last edited by mcb82gt; 10-11-2019 at 02:43 PM.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Yeah we back in the day actually modified what summit had done. Cut the hole bigger and ran a tall KN filter that would stick up into the scoop. It did make a difference on the top end. I will see if I can locate some pictures of how we did it.
    Steve
    "Taillights in Your Face Jack? You've just been Dominated!"
    # Link to Facebook Dominator Mustang Fans # # Link to Facebook Predator Mustang Fans #
    # Link to Facebook Twister Mustang Fans #
    Current Stangs: Stangless
    Previously owned:
    84 Black GT, 85 Black T-Top Dominator GT # Link to Restoration Thread # 85 Dominator GT RIP 1995, 85 Predator GT, 83 Dominator GT, 82 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by bluesfannoz View Post
    Yeah we back in the day actually modified what summit had done. Cut the hole bigger and ran a tall KN filter that would stick up into the scoop. It did make a difference on the top end. I will see if I can locate some pictures of how we did it.
    Not a Fox but you get the idea.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    84 Cougar, 90 HO with 700DP, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1.7 RRs, shorty's and SS exh, T-5, KC clutch, Hurst pro billet, line loc, 8.8, 4.10s, suspension mods....blah, blah,blah.

71 Comet, 289, Liberty TL, 9", 6.00s, 11.9x @ 112.... blah, blah, blah.

Default Scoop

I went with this scoop on my 79. Pictures coming soon!
    ed

[h=AERO
    SCOOP]1[/h]
    • 27" L x 22.5" W Front x 20" W Back x 3" H
    • Includes four (4) molded bolts for easy installation.
    • Black trim gasket included.
    • Made in USA
    • Material: hand laid fiberglass with gray surface gelcoat.
    Last edited by ThunderStruck; 10-13-2019 at 10:24 PM.

This is what I did.Name:  P1010109.JPG
Views: 390
Size:  159.0 KBName:  P1010108.JPG
Views: 371
Size:  160.0 KBName:  P1010104.JPG
Views: 349
Size:  142.5 KBName:  2015-02-13 11.10.28.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  234.5 KB
    Last edited by casper 1999; 11-08-2019 at 04:41 AM.

FEP Supporter

Great solution casper 1999! Those ghost flames are killer too!
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Great solution casper 1999! Those ghost flames are killer too!
    Thanks, it's a work in progress but isn't everything!

That is all kinds of cold air. The dual snorkel PLUS the scoop/open element assembly. I am pretty confident that distributor is off at least one tooth, probably two. It makes zero difference in how it runs or how much power it makes if the timing is correct, I agree. I get it. If the timing is right, it's right, no matter where it is installed. It just looks odd with the vacuum advance pushed all the way over to the valve cover is all. i would be surprised if the timing is in fact correct but I've obviously never seen your car.