Close

Default Ford OEM 7553- C302 adjustable clutch cable

Replaced the clutch cable and the pedal just feels sloppy and engages about half way to 3/4 off the floor. No firewall adjuster and stock quadrant. How can I dial this in nicely?
    Thanks much

Did you reset your stock quadrant?

If not, you pull the clutch pedal all the way up towards you. You should hear a ratcheting sound as the paw resets on the quadrant. See what difference that makes.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I just did that, seemingly there was no play

Straight from Maximum Motorsports Website

"Ford equipped most Fox and all SN95 Mustangs with a self-adjusting mechanism designed to maintain proper clutch cable tension at all times. As the clutch disc wears, the mechanism automatically adjusts the cable tension so the clutch continues to operate correctly through its entire life.A properly adjusted clutch cable has some tension on it. This keeps the throwout bearing in constant contact with the fingers on the clutch pressure plate diaphragm. That contact is essential for the self-adjusting mechanism to work. Contrary to popular belief, this is a design feature and does not prematurely wear out the Mustang throwout bearing."

Have you looked under the dash at the OEM quadrant to verify that you don't have excessive wear, missing teeth, etc.?
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I attempted to scope it out last night but I’m too big to get under the dash enough with the seat installed.
    The clutch is a new Ram with a new adjustable cable (Ford Racing) and I’m wondering if I should just replace the quadrant with a new style. I’m not sure of a reliable/ compatible part but I didn’t want to replace OEM if not necessary. I probably should kept the OEM cable.
    The car is completely stock, all original with 50k miles. 1 owner, my father in law.
    This sloppy clutch and high idle are my sole issues.

There are no guarantees just due to age, etc. but based upon the mileage, I would assume your quadrant is just fine.

Unfortunately the new Ford Racing cables are not the same quality as the original parts and neither are most of the aftermarket cables either. The Maximum Motorsport cable is the only one that I will use for that exact reason, but it must be used with the proper quadrant and firewall adjuster.

My first guess is your pedal slop is due to a combination of the quadrant and the adjustable cable not being dialed in properly to work well together. I would recommend removing the driver seat or getting someone to visually check the quadrant and where it is in regards to the overall adjustment range. That would be my first item. Once you know that is in good shape, then I would look at your adjustable cable adjustments and see if that can fine tune your clutch engagement and improve the overall pedal feel. Hopefully that addresses your issues and other than your high idle, you will be set. Good luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller