Close

Thread: pinion seal

Default pinion seal

My pinion seal has been leaking for a while so I finally decided to replace it and Ive ran into a problem. I went to remove the nut and it was just hand tight and the flange just pulled right off by hand. so now I know why it was leaking. but I have owned this car for 24 years and has never been touched in that time. so my question is did the nut just walk loose and is the bearings worn bad? I put it back together and put red locktight on the nut and I know you only suppose the tighten it to back where it was but I went 1 extra revolution on the nut to where it just started to get tight. I guess worst thing is going to happen is rearend locks up or driveshaft will fall out with flange attached. what do you guys think?

If it was mine, I'd put new bearings and crush collar in there. And I hate working on semifloat rear ends.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Have seen this happen quite a few times on a 8.8. Adding red loctite to the nut is a good thing. Turning the nut one revelution, not a good thing. If you happen to "crush" the crush collar(this is your preload on the Pinion bearing) You may have decreased your Backlash on the gear set.
    Loose Pinion can affect a number of things, Increased wear on you gears set, which can lead to fragments of metal coming of and getting into bearings, clutches and of course seals.

If it was mine, I would open up the rear end and clean thoroughly. That way you can determine if you have any damage or wear on your gearset and clutches. As stated above.....a complete set of bearings, seals and your crush collar.

Hopefully this helps.