Close

Default Question re: Factory Original Hatch Louvers

Hello, I recently purchased an 82 Mustang GT. It came with rear hatch louvers, and I confirmed on the Marti report that the car was originally equipped with rear hatch louvers from the factory. The guys at the resto shop are trying to determine whether the louvers on the car are the factory originals (or at least are mounted as were the factory originals). The louvers are mounted with two hinges at the top just above the rear hatch window frame, and are secured at the bottom with two bolt posts and screw caps that are located just below and to the side of the rear hatch window frame bottom corners (pics below). Is this the factory original mounting setup for the rear hatch louvers, or did a prior owner drill into the car to add these mounting posts for some aftermarket louvers? Thanks in advance.

Attachment 129863

Attachment 129864

Attachment 129865

Attachment 129866

Attachment 129867

My 1982 GT is also equipped with OEM Factory installed rear louvers. The top hinges appear to be correct to me. The lower studs are not OEM. The lower hold downs not threaded studs with a nut. It appears a previous owner installed those either due to losing the OEM fasteners or some other reason. Here are a couple of pictures of my louvers.

Name:  018 (1).jpg
Views: 173
Size:  82.4 KB

Name:  022 (1).jpg
Views: 191
Size:  63.4 KB

Name:  024 (1).jpg
Views: 211
Size:  67.8 KB

Name:  020 (1).jpg
Views: 189
Size:  94.3 KB
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks for the response and for the pics; however I can't tell how yours attaches at the bottom. Can you describe and perhaps add a close up pic or two? Thanks very much.

My rear louvers do not have the OEM screws that held them down. The OEM setup had rivet nuts installed in the hatch and there was a screw/bolt that went thru the louvers and tightened down to hold the back of the louvers down. Nothing fancy, but effective. My hatch is off and sitting against the wall in the garage. I am heading out of town, but will try and get you some pictures when I get back if no one beats me to it.

There was a discussion about the hardware here on FEP awhile back and many suggested using a knurled head screw/bolt to replace any missing OEM hardware. I found some on Mcmaster.com, but I will have to search again for the ones we were discussing.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Interesting. I can confirm the top hinges appear factory as well but the lower ones I have seen both ways... if I am recalling correctly.

So many things can change on a vehicle over the years, I would be very interested to know if there was a change over, popular replacement parts ect... watching this thread with interest.

I wish I had more useful info to contribute but here is a pic of the backside of a recently acquired 82RS with factory louvers that is just to hot not to post on FEP.

Name:  20190922_133336.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  392.0 KB

My 82 Magic (probably exact same setup as the GT) came with these
    Name:  20191006_152031.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  80.0 KB
    Last edited by MercuryBlues82; 10-06-2019 at 02:30 PM. Reason: too many images