Close

Default 86 ltd to v8 swap

so i bought a almost all original 86 ltd single owner with now 95k on the clock. the 3.8 is a tough little engine considering the beatings i put on it driving it about 100 plus miles a day. that with a bad head gasket and a rubber plug in the head since the freeze plug blew out. but i want to swap it over to a v8 with a aod. i got most of the parts to do it since i have a bunch of mustang parts. but the wiring is the only part i am having trouble figuring out. going to keep the original dash and column shift. if anyone can help me out with the wiring i can continue planning it out. going to run a 89 fox efi harness.Name:  20190527_194412.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  371.3 KBName:  20190527_184235.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  273.9 KBName:  20190527_194428.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  287.1 KB

If you wanna kep it CFi, you will find it real simple to fit the Std Output 5.0 in. For the High Output 5.0 M code, The computer is different and the TFi and Throttle Body are not the same, but the basic wiring protocols are as near as dangnabbit the same. The HO CFi will serve up to a 235 hp engine if you do it right.The cam and heads have to be close to stock, the the aHO Fuel Injection CFi had a screamer cam and quite good heads.

Wiring is a lottery though. Ford used empty box parts, and for the HO 5.0, the O2 sensor and TFi ignition tip in requires a specfic throttle body, 2350 stall converter and computer and dual snorkle air cleaner forces you to rewire and change a few parts. BUT ITS BASICALLY REAL SIMPLE.

Do you want to stay Throttle body injection, or go Port EFi, or go to a proper 4bbl 5.0 conversion of a later roller cam engine...you've got a lot of scope if you keep TFi ignition with the EFi computer intact. The 4bbl Holley carb can be run open and closed loop like a CFi throttle body Electronic Injection unit. Lots of scope if you want to keep the EECIV computer.

When I went to a SEFI 5.0L in my Boxy Fox, I swapped the entire chassis harness with it, but I also swapped dashes. You can probably splice the original dash in too though. And maybe find some shortcuts along the way such as using the '89 rotary HVAC panel in place of the LTD's slide style. They should be the same size, and very subtle change.

That said, plenty of others have done this swap in an LTD. Jasen Ross and Scott Chamberlain to name a few.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Yeah I want to go sefi I got everything from my foxes that I didn't need. I want to keep it as original as possible. Not a fan of the fox dash in the LTD. I took a few pics from Jason Ross car but still got a few questions on a few wires that he had. If not I'll have to catch them all together so I can check out there cars. Trying to do the least wiring possible on it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Honestly, I know they ain't cheap...but I think you wouldn't regret going with a Fi-Tech set-up. Simple wiring, best power combo probably and fantastic reliability. I think it would help you with whatever you throw at it later.

Well I got everything for the mustang sefi set up. I got the ECM harness all the wiring and engine.

95% of the wiring is in the car for you being two element Hi Lo Electric fuel pumped Speed Density with O2 sensor.

The port EFi part and MAF are the parts that require moderate , not extensive, rewiring.

The problem is the

1. 02 sensor wiring, its pins, and how it gets wired up varies with year and engine, and

2. the power to the Idle Air Control has a diferent fusile link depending on the year...

3. the last CFi's have a different wiring protocol, and

4. the EGR and

5. down stream and upstream AIR SOLV system differs...the 3.8 Essex is quite different on how its does the EGR and AIR pump control, but you can make it work.

Its best to just follow the stock wiring, with the least, minimal disturbance changes first.

What you'll find is that the wiring changes month by mont, plant by plant, and car by car to suit the empty box supply from Fords wiring supply people.

Fox Wiring is very low quality compared to other 85 cars, but it does have some great service clues from JA Cook.

Basic checking, and then changing the five items above will get you going.

Ford used wire loops to change O2 sensor type, there are three kinds, and a forth complication is the transmission and MAF air. You have six or seven different possible wiring scenarios. The O2 sensor is the hardest part to follow through, the IAC, CFi--> SEFi, and the EGR and Air pump differ, but you just gotta follow through.

When done right, there is no need to use a Malfunction Indicator Lamp, just the six pin DTC wiring plug, and you can check it for fault codes. Make sure you look at the best heads, and decide how you want to proceed with the Bureau of Verfications paper work. If its an 88-92 Aero engine, you have to use its emissions details and valid Smog Test, but you don't have to use the MIL light on the dash the way it was on the MAF air Cali Areo Stangs.

The DTC wire is what is used. The VIN details get transferred over, and you have to use a four cat exhaust and a EO spec header.

This 7th thing is what people get messed up over. As long as you don't have a 90 day to comply gross poluter writ, you can do a straignt engine swap, and the later four cat Areo or SN95 exhaust header and cats will be okay if the downstream air pipes are still working.

And 8th thing.

Do you want to do some better heads and a little "within the rules" changes to the engine tune? If so, you can get away with a lot more cam and better upper and lower intake flow without having the smog guys make it hard for you. The 1990 GT40 engined De Tomaso Pantera 2 with 5.0 got the very first Mustang Cobra GT40 spec engine, years before the 92 Cobra SVT, and 248 to 305 hp net at the flywheel was possible, depending on the level of emissions gear. Roller rockers don't have to be disclosed...as long as it presents as the engine form the year it was made for your donar Mustang, and the factory base timing and sniffer tests pass, you all good to wring well over 215 rwhp from a factory 5.0. The 2350 rpm stall converter works real well with the legal ratios Ford had with the Foxes.

That's basically what all the hotter Aussie 5.0 Falcons with the Mustang SVT Cobra spec engine did if the air intake wasn't leaking.

The battery does not need relocating if its kept speed density MAP only.

If running MAF, the intake can be swapped 180 degrees and the air intake can be pod Cold Aired in the drivers side wheel arch if you use SN95 coolant recovery and electric fans. All is a delicate choice of Cash Mitigating Actions.

Ford Australia used a combination of Mustang engine with standard or aftermarket Showa manufactured180 degree fljpped upper intakes. The whole thing is based on avoiding things in the engibe bay.

Quote Originally Posted by 87_notchfox View Post
    Well I got everything for the mustang sefi set up. I got the ECM harness all the wiring and engine.

Ahh, that makes sense.