Close

Default '83 GT PHR Magazine Project Car FURTHER PRICE DROP SPECIAL TO FEP MEMBERS: $18,500

Hey guys,
    Just dropped the eBay price to $19,900. I really want it to go to a FEP member, if possible. So, your FEP special price is $18,500.

Here's your chance.

Email me at 66CVT427@gmail.com and I will gladly give you my phone number and send pix and video of anything you want to see on the car.

Going, going...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174042785288
    Last edited by PHR MAG; 09-29-2019 at 05:59 PM.

The PHR Mustang's eBay listing is ending tonight...9:00PM Pacific Time.

What a cool history! I’m not a buyer but I’m glad you shared

Still available?
    82 Mercury Capri - 11.99 @ 112, AFR headed Mountaineer motor
    86 Mustang LX Coupe - the original Coyote swap 4-eye. Gone but not forgotten!

Looks like it sold on Bring a Trailer for 11,000.

Quote Originally Posted by gtturbo84 View Post

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...tang-gt-5-0-2/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Present: '84.5 Mustang GT T-top, '06 Mazdaspeed6
    Past: '79 5.0 Capri, '86 Buick GN, '90 Mustang GT, '92 SHO, '95 SHO
    Browse cover pages of my Fox Chassis related library

FEP Power Member

Somebody has a huge smile on their face! Awesome deal on that car with such great history.

Default '83 GT PHR Magazine Project Car FURTHER PRICE DROP SPECIAL TO FEP MEMBERS: $18,500

11k is a fair price. The 18k originally offered here was way too much. Someone here probably would have grabbed it at that 11k price
    Last edited by saleen428; 01-15-2020 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by saleen428 View Post
    11k is a fair price. The 18k originally offered here was way too much. Someone here probably would have grabbed it at that 11k price
    Looks like he was originally asking for 25k.

http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...dition!-25-000

I think he stole it for 11k. Wow hella nice car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad move not telling us it was on Bring a Trailer. That caused the price to be WAY lower than it could have been.

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Great that C. Van Tune was finally able to find a buyer! I met him while working at Galpin Ford of Los Angeles several years ago. As a rule, I'd check i.d. before demo-ing (beating on) a car. Upon looking at the name on his license, I said "You write for magazines, don't you?" and he was like 'Yeah.' I remember we spoke briefly about the Mustang II (First car?) then took a brand new 2004 Cobra ragtop for a burn. Nice guy.

What I found strange when the PHR '83 ad first appeared was that a Test Car was available to the public. Until now, I believed that Test Cars were crushed per D.O.T. rules. Luckily, this Bright Red GT survives, should be a big hit at shows, and looks to have been 'bought right.' WTG, C.Van. I hope you continue to check into FEP from time-to-time, even with the car being gone. Well-done
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 01-19-2020 at 12:11 AM. Reason: text

Quote Originally Posted by PHR MAG View Post
    Hey guys,
    Just dropped the eBay price to $19,900. I really want it to go to a FEP member, if possible. So, your FEP special price is $18,500.

Here's your chance.

Email me at 66CVT427@gmail.com and I will gladly give you my phone number and send pix and video of anything you want to see on the car.

Going, going...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/174042785288
    Quote Originally Posted by gtturbo84 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by saleen428 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Bad move not telling us it was on Bring a Trailer. That caused the price to be WAY lower than it could have been.
    This is why I respect people who DON'T put that kind of verbiage in their FEP ads so much more. (red highlight)
    '78 Fairmont Box Top w/Straight 6/3-spd Manual Everything
    '81 Zephyr Wagon 4/4-spd
    '84 Mustang SVO 5.0 Swapped semi-junker (I didn't do it!)
    MAF, GT-40, BBK Shorties

FEP Power Member

Heck, I would have bought it for $11K...

Don’t be hard on Van. He is an honest guy and really thought the car was worth more that the $11k I paid for it. It’s really hard to value a car with this kind of background. Popular Hot Rodding built a nascar style Laguna that twice sold on BAT for well below its parts cost. Van tried eBay for months starting high and then came to FEP genuinely offering what he thought was a sharp deal compared to his starting price. He’d been confident enough in its value to spend$1500 in repairs. But no takers on FEP or eBay brought him to the doldrums of December with his new 1963 E Type still not having a garage. So BAT it had to be. There was only one other bidder in the end, and he confessed it was only cause he didn’t want the car to go for only $8000.

Van was very gracious about concluding the deal and being available to load the transport. I flew out to get the car’s background in person and greatly enjoyed Van’s stories, his car collection and having a wonderful meal with he and his wife. He is a classy car guy, amicable and down to earth.

I joined FEP in January and look forward to dialoging with you all as I enhance Lil Red’s roadworthiness while retaining its historic significance. As a subscriber to PHR back in the 80s, Van’s articles and this actual car inspired my own build of a black 1979 Capri RS in Canada 35 years ago. Ford Motorsport suspension, Recaros, 351 headed B&P 302, air dam and GT rear wing. Sad day when I sold her 25 yrs later to buy a 96 M3.

But it’s sure great to be back again in a Fox! ( and I still have a 97 M3 this time!)

steve

I would also add that something must have clicked with the BAT community because there have been a lot more great foxes being listed and sold on the site over these last two months.

FEP Senior Member

This is a great car with exceptional history. My question is how did you end up in Atlanta from Canada ?

The older you get the further south you should move!

How about from Ottawa to Toronto, to Sydney Australia, to London England, to Rochester NY, to Toronto, to Atlanta, to San Diego and back to Atlanta?
    Isn't that the way most people would do it?

Running businesses for Bausch + Lomb/RayBan/Bushnell and later running optical divisions of CIBAvision/Novartis/Alcon and venture capitalists. I dont change jobs, I change countries.

Got to see the world on someone else's dime and had lots of car fun... Bathurst 1000, Canberra Street Machine Nationals, Goodwood Revival, Imola Grand Prix as guest of Ayrton Senna/Williams, Hot Rod Magazine Power Tour (12x), Barrett Jackson, Grand National Roadster Show, Pomona Swap Meet.

Atlanta seemed like a good retirement spot for a car guy...30 miles to everything... Road Atlanta, Atlanta Motor Speedway, Atlanta Dragway, Summit Performance. And my wife and daughter like the horseback riding!

FEP Senior Member

Your a lucky man.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome o FEP
    1979 Indy Pace Car Mustang 302 / 5spd
    1982 Mustang GT T-Top 302 / 4spd
    1986 SVO Mustang - 1C

Congrats on getting such a storied car. I remember reading the articles on it when I was a young teen. Oh and welcome to FEP!

FEP Super Member Bryan Knebworth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drivunn View Post
    I would also add that something must have clicked with the BAT community because there have been a lot more great foxes being listed and sold on the site over these last two months.
    I hope you have a climate controlled shop for that beast! Still boggles the mind that a test car remains for the public to enjoy, and an '83 no-less
    Did you get to keep the PHR plate...
    Last edited by Bryan Knebworth; 02-18-2020 at 08:46 AM. Reason: added text

Yes Van gave me the California PHR MAG plate and its now Georgia plated PHR MAG. I also got all the other material in the ads...magazines, photo out takes, Ford docs, etc.

Van said after the comparo articles were done, they convinced Ford to keep the car for further articles, but the car was transfered to PHR ownership.
    When the PHR Editor realized how much Van liked the 'Stang, he offered Van the now "used" car in lieu of two forthcoming salary bumps. Van bit!

Will be dry and out of the elements, with good company, as El Camino is now at my daughter"s:
    Name:  DSC05313.JPG
Views: 294
Size:  118.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images