Close

Default What to do behind back interior plastics?

Hey all, so I'm in the midst of putting quick roof in the interior of my car and am wondering what you guys have done behind back plastics. After removing plastics I have some jute foam material or whatever it is. It's pretty dirty and smelly so I want to get rid of it. Its stapled to a black plastic form.

What should I do here? Just toss the jute foam and put quick roof there? Remove black plastic form and just put quick roof right on the metal?

Attachment 129832
    Attachment 129833
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

I have done it a couple of ways. Obviously you can install sound deadening directly on the wheel housings, and the inside of the quarter panels. You can remove the jute padding and replace it with the sound deadening if you like. Personally I would install the sound deadening on the metal and keep the jute padding. You can carefully wash it with soap and water, then allow it dry completely before installing. That should remove the smell and allow you to keep it. You can also purchase new jute padding and replace if you prefer.

Some have also installed the sound deadening material and even sound absorbing foam onto the back of the plastic panels if going for the utmost in sound deadening. Bottom line is if you want maximum sound deadening and sound absorption, then you will need to use multiple materials to maximize the absorption and deadening effect. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Found certain luxury cars in the pick-a-part yards have large like new sheets of jute behind the rear seats.
    Zero to a couple dollars for a big sheet. I cut them to size and lay em in, replace when wet.
    Once wet, like under the carpet in the DS foot well, jute retains water and helps rust floor pans. Plus maybe mold too.
    Prob could peel off the old jute from the molded black material and spray glue new back on.
    Certain home carpet padding resembles it. Jute and recycled jeans or whatever glue molded together.
    Recently temp removed some of those items for rear wheel well repairs. Came out easy in good shape. Am reusing.
    They say the jute is for thermal control, the black part is for acoustic control.
    Dynamat like materials would not be fun to weld around if needing to patch or repair metal, mods, or do collision repair.
    Or spotting things like pan cracks in the seat area. Cannot see that if covered.
    Found door and window protectowrap type of butyl tape with backing works well on clean metal.
    Could not imagine working with anything wider than 6" width and even that is real fun to keep from sticking to itself.

Occasionally during maintenance, some of the factory black mastic pad stuff chips off the inside floor pan.
    Metal is like new under it. Most of it is still tight.
    Last edited by gr79; 09-30-2019 at 08:07 PM.

Thanks guys. I guess I can try to wash and reuse although it is in pretty bad shape. I think I will just put some quick roof on top of the black plastic cover and then jute and see how it does. If I cant reuse jute where is the best place to buy some new stuff? I went to a carpet dealer to look at underlay it it's not quite the same.
    Thanks
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt

Quote Originally Posted by Sask84gt View Post
    Thanks guys. I guess I can try to wash and reuse although it is in pretty bad shape. I think I will just put some quick roof on top of the black plastic cover and then jute and see how it does. If I cant reuse jute where is the best place to buy some new stuff? I went to a carpet dealer to look at underlay it it's not quite the same.
    Thanks
    I have seen the jute padding at Jo Ann Fabrics years ago, but no guarantees they still carry it. Most upholstery shops will have some as well as any supply houses. Otherwise you can find it on the internet. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Default found padding on uhaul sites

Found the industry term of the material. (Automotive) Shoddy.
    Recycled. Fiber. Nonwoven. Pads for NVH.

Most home stores prob don't stock it because no one wants it for the house. Not luxurious enough?
    Talking the stringy stuff, not the cheapo kind with foam chips. Of course alternatives are the new tech or something.
    They call it jute but all say 100% synthetic. Real jute is natural. Also described as recycled denim.

A pic of it. All the different colored strings and whatnot. Thinner at 1/8". Car version is more like 1/4"?
    Reviews say its washable. Many stores in town had plenty in stock.
    https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies...e-Pad/?id=2670

Then i noticed you are in SK. There is a store search box on their Canadian site.
    Curious as a test, I typed in S4R1Y3 for Regina and found u-haul stores with this same item in stock.

https://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Saskatchewan/
    Last edited by gr79; 10-03-2019 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    Found the industry term of the material. (Automotive) Shoddy.
    Recycled. Fiber. Nonwoven. Pads for NVH.

Most home stores prob don't stock it because no one wants it for the house. Not luxurious enough?
    Talking the stringy stuff, not the cheapo kind with foam chips. Of course alternatives are the new tech or something.
    They call it jute but all say 100% synthetic. Real jute is natural. Also described as recycled denim.

A pic of it. All the different colored strings and whatnot. Thinner at 1/8". Car version is more like 1/4"?
    Reviews say its washable. Many stores in town had plenty in stock.
    https://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies...e-Pad/?id=2670

Then i noticed you are in SK. There is a store search box on their Canadian site.
    Curious as a test, I typed in S4R1Y3 for Regina and found u-haul stores with this same item in stock.

https://www.uhaul.com/Locations/Saskatchewan/
    Dude, That's awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to find that for me, Cheers!
    Mustangs
    84.5 Gt T-top
    85 Gt