Close

Default Correct Distributor?

So, I was shopping for a new stock distributor. Cardone has 2 part numbers with an ominous warning that you'd better pick the right one, or you will have SEVERE DAMAGE. How do I figure out which one I need? I do notice that the other brands have no such warning, which is weird. I'm guessing my block is '87-93 style since I didn't notice anything different from my old one.

Also side question, are TFI modules reusable, or once you stick one on, are they "used up"?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Just noticed something. The only two Cardone part numbers they carry are with and without the module. That must just be a general warning for everyone.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Power Member

Two things, the distributor needs to match you ignition system and second the distributor gear needs to match up with your cam gear. Not sure if you are still running a stock set up.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Okay, but there wasn't a variety of somehow different sized distributors on 5.0Ls for a given model year, though, is what I was getting at. Or even a variety of different distributor gears. That's what I thought the warning were saying at first. My setup is all still '87-93 5.0L stuff, and as I understand it, the shortblock I bought is meant to be used with just that. At least that's the conclusion I draw by their asking for my application information. I suppose you never know though if you don't ask, I'm sure there's been a very wide variety of distributors put onto 302s over the years.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

There are a variety of sizes... the length of the distributor shaft changes 85/86 somewhere. Probably has to do with the roller blocks. As long as you have a late block and tfi, the store bought TFI distributors should be fine. There are shaft diameter changes as well but meh. Just make sure you replace the gear with the same kind. I believe all you can get now is steel so it should not be a problem (if you have a roller).

I had to go with a funky alloy since you can't even buy the right cast gear anymore (worked with comp cams on that).
    Last edited by emerygt350; 09-30-2019 at 08:05 AM.
    1984.5 G.T.350 5.0 CFI AOD Convertible (TRX package, loaded)
    K&N filter in a stock dual snorkel, GT40 heads, Edelbrock 3721 intake, MSD 8456 Dist., MSD 8227 coil
    Comp cams XE254H, hypereutectic pistons
    Hooker Super Comp Shorty Equal Length Headers, catted BBK H-pipe, full custom duals
    Maximum Motorsports caster/camber plates and strut tower brace, 3.73 rear, dura grip (both Yukon)
    Ford Performance Springs, Firehawk A/S 225/55r16 on LMR TRX r390 wheels (street)
    Federal 595 rs-rr 245/40r17 and 255/40r17 on OE cobra r wheels (race)
    AOD rebuilt with a 6 clutch direct drum, Koline steels stacked with 8 clutches, Kevlar band, superior shift kit, new torque converter. --Everything else stock and fully functional.

I do have a roller cam in a roller block.

I haven't had a problem with my old distributor, I'm just replacing it because it's old and may be starting to wear out.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST