Close

Default 2.3 turbo engine overheating

I have an 85 Ranger 2.3T swap from 88 T-bird. (Before you start hating the donor car was totaled) Finisged the swap not too long ago. Been driving her around more and more and noticed that my temp gauge gets up to 220-230°F. Been battling this for about a month and I'm out of solutions. I'll explain what all ive done so far and attach pictures so you can see..

I had the V6 ranger radiator on it originally with the electric pull fan you see in the picture , swapped the radiator with a much bigger one I found from SummitRacing. When the problem persisted after that I added two push fans in front of my intercooler to make sure I was getting plenty of airflow. When that did not work I thought maybe the turbo heat was bulding in the engine bay so I added louvers to my hood to try to let heat transfer out. And finally I added insulation to the hot side of the turbo to try to reduce some heat.. still running too hot.. am I missing something here ? I'll add the diagram I used for the cooking system as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Build some standoffs on the pull fan and complete a full shroud that ensures good airflow through 100% of the radiator for starters

Make sure your cooling system is maintaining pressure. Look up what the cap pressure is supposed to be

Sounds like a poor flowing or stuck thermostat. Replace it with a correct temp motorcraft thermostat or a high flow of one is offered.

Consider if there is an air pocket or head/block issues

is there a water pump problem? A bad bearing or bent shaft can cause the impeller spinning on the shaft, etc

start with chemically aided backwards flow cooling system flush with a hose

from there inspect stuff. No coolant leak is a good one-fix them all. You need good pressure. Inspect the cap in detail .... if the seal doesn’t act right replace it

make darn sure you have a reasonable overflow tank and there are no air leaks in the hose that the radiator draws from

try finding the highest point in the cooling system and identify a way to bleed air from there.

Good luck!