Close

Default Heater control issue

Not sure if this is correct category for this or not.

I have a 1985 lx convertible. I am finally getting to the point where comfort can be address.

I just tried to move the control arm up to heat, and it would not budge. I did not want to force it and break something. So my question is where do I start troubleshooting this. Is it a cable? Is the switch just frozen with rust?

Thank you in advance

FEP Power Member

Ac or no ac?
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

I think that is a cable linkage that runs over to the flapper on the heater box. I suspect it is jammed up or seized.
    Mike

Now stang-less.

88 Cougar 5.0

Watching this thread, curious to see what people say & recommend. I have one that's a little stiff and I know a lot of people end up breaking the heater control switch housing when trying to force stuck/stiff switches. If it's stuck at the other end - at the actual heater box door (as suggested), I'm guessing the OP is going to have to remove the console? (I haven't looked at any of the dash diagrams and it's nearly 4am). Can probably oil it and use pliers to move the metal cable connector back & forth to get it moving freely again.

With the age of these cars after all of these years, probably every single control cable could really use some oil lubrication at both ends and each of the cables worked back & forth since they ride inside protective jackets/sleeves.

Though I see the OP is in Florida - it probably gets cold now & then. If anyone has any climate control cable problems now - and it's only Autumn, it'd probably be a good time to get them taken care of soon. If the cable(s) are sticking or stuck now - just wait until they're frozen stiff this Winter with all of the cold & moisture from rain & snow-covered (in some regions) wet thawing boots & shoes and wet floormats etc. The moisture from wet feet from rain & snow really gets right up under the dash over the years and starts rusting things like cables & controls. Going over the climate controls would need to be done probably only once or twice in a vehicles life - but would clearly be a very worthwhile maintenance task

Does anyone have a diagram of the Air box and control cables?

Thanks. I will be seeing what i can do to figure this out.

FEP Power Member

The ac version has the cable exposed right below the glove box. It should be easy to see. It goes from the panel and goes horizontal to the passengers side and ten loops back to the box.

FEP Supporter

The 1985 EVTM has decent descriptions and diagrams. Not real photos though. Maybe someone has a copy hosted somewhere for download. I downloaded a copy a long time ago when a member had it on his site. Unfortunately, I believe he and the site are no longer with us.

If you look through some of the heater core replacement threads and videos you might find something relevant.
    '85 GT

FEP Power Member

Actually, someone was looking for the cable clip or the adjustment. They posted the adjustment procedure from Ford with a drawing.

Does anyone have pics of how the control cable connects on each side? At the back of the control knob and at the flapper valve? Interested to know this as well as I have a good original and repro of the cable and am puzzled on how it connects. My original seized as well and was basically useless. I've got factory A/C.
    '86 Mustang GT T-Top, 5-lug Cobra brake swap done
    '96 Mustang Cobra 302rwhp 296rwtq, Sold and missed
    '11 Mustang GT/CS, Traded and will be missed
    '13 Taurus SHO, Performance Pack, hit and run, totalled
    '17 Fusion Sport, Livernois tune, Steeda CAI, Steeda Rear Swaybar, Big Mouth Ram Air, GFB+ valve, Steeda Catch can, TTR FMIC (Garrett Core)