Close

Default remove hood decal on 86 mustang

What is the best way to remove hood decal that's been on for 34 years. Getting ready to paint so i need hood cleaned. Thanks!

This is the way I did it years ago.Name:  stripe.JPG
Views: 236
Size:  53.3 KB
    1985 GT owned since new

If i can find the Xylene, i'll try that. Did it come up easy or ake alo of scraping. Thanks

FEP Senior Member

i used the eastwood pneumatic rotary removal tool.
    (Item #30216 Brand: Eastwood) i had bought it for the wire wheels, but it came with the Adhesive Eraser Wheel, saw i used it to remove the decal. worked great. does generate heat , so you need to move around so the heat does not build up

The Eraser Wheel works really well in almost any drill, including cordless. They wear out quick so you might need 2, and don't bear down on them too hard.

Good luck!
    Kenny

Quote Originally Posted by mustangnut View Post
    If i can find the Xylene, i'll try that. Did it come up easy or ake alo of scraping. Thanks
    As I recall, it wasn't difficult, just tedious. It takes a lot of scraping, but the adhesive turns soft and gummy. You have to do it in stages.
    1985 GT owned since new

does no work. going to rough up the decal then use paint remove.

I think you are missing the boat on the eraser wheels. Cheap, easy and do little to no damage as long as you keep them moving. if you are trying to save the paint is the the easiest, economical and best on the environment (and your health) solution.

Kenny

Default decal remove

Quote Originally Posted by mudgepondexpress View Post
    I think you are missing the boat on the eraser wheels. Cheap, easy and do little to no damage as long as you keep them moving. if you are trying to save the paint is the the easiest, economical and best on the environment (and your health) solution.

Kenny
    Not trying to save paint, strip the hood repaint complete front end. So that is why i think sripping is the best way. take hood off also the hatch which also needs painted.

FEP User

if you're not trying to save the paint, I bought blasting media at tractor supply and used my media blaster that I bought from harbor freight and it blasted the sticker and paint right off!! no stripping period, the media blasted right through the crusty old sticker!!