Close

Default Are 82 GT and 83 GT hood scoop share the same bolt pattern?

Does anybody know if the scoops are interchangeable without drilling new holes?

Got a friend looking to do the swap and I wasnt sure.

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

No the bolt hole patterns are unique to each scoop. The hoods are completely different also. 79-82 and 83-86 are the year model break downs on the hoods.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Cowl width is the main difference on the hoods

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Cowl width is the main difference on the hoods
    The center of the 79-82 hood is depressed while the 83-86 is raised. The 79-82 center is essentially the same from front to rear where the 83-86 flares out to match the wider cowl. The 79-82 hood front is straight across the middle and then angles off to the sides. The 83-86 is more of an arc.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Here is a picture I found on Craigslist of an 83-86 hood with the 82 hood scoop. See how the scoop has a different profile than the hood lines? Narrower at the rear, wider at the front, while the hood is the opposite.

Name:  Mustang Hood.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  55.5 KB
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

Thanks guys, I have an 82 scoop and am looking for an 83. Was hoping to just drill one set of holes and be able to use the 82 scoop unitl I find an 83 and bolt that in the same holes. I have an 88 LX that I am using it on so the 83 will match the lines of the hood better. Thanks again

Mike
    1982 GT 351W, retro hyd roller, ported Pro Comp heads, Tremec, M2300K brake kit, Recaros...needs paint!
    1984 LX 5.0 Vert *SOLD*
    1993 Cobra #3971 mostly stock *SOLD*
    1966 FFR Cobra replica 383W, Vic Jr heads, Vortech YS, TFS Box intake, 652rwhp, crazy fast!
    1987 GT in MM&FF May of 97 "Not Fade Away" white and purple. Sold 1999

Folks, my motor/intake/small air cleaner rises past the hood height and just contacts the stock scoop. Anyone have suggestions? I have an 83 GT with the stock hood opening with what I attributed to turbo clearancing. I had hoped the 82 scoop with it's greater height to the front would work yet I don't want new bolt holes. There was a Capri of similar vintage and scoop appearance similar to the 82 mustang scoop but based on this thread the holes would likely match the 82 mustang gt scoop. I thought about spacing the scoop up but it will catch air. Leaving the scoop off is my immediate idea. I need a job before I get a reverse teardrop glassed on which is my dream option. Thanks for your ideas. Just about 3 months until Bandimere opens this spring.

Convertible motor mounts? I believe they drop the engine just a little bit and could be all you need to make it work.

Kenny

Ran into same clearance issue last year. 79 style scoop, 79 turbo hood. 2.3 turbo carb engine (a/c offset to ds).
    New carb with manifold adapter and air cleaner sat higher than stock.
    Air cleaner touched bottom of scoop. Could not bolt down scoop all the way. Same deal. Needed another inch or two.
    Needed to keep minimum 2" filter height.
    Thought about making scoop spacer with longer studs too. Foam tape, wood, plastic, metal, considered for spacer material.
    Actually did a mockup. It worked, but rejected because of same air flow lift concern. Felt there was another way.
    Moving carb mount fore-aft-side to side was not an option. Offset a/c base was considered.

Used Play-Doh on top of a/c lid to see where a/c was hitting. Similar method when checking piston to valve clearance.Name:  carb 2305 air cleaner fit check (11) 3030.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  67.2 KBName:  carb 2305 air cleaner fit check (14) 3030.JPG
Views: 33
Size:  32.6 KB

Found out a/c would clear if a section of the scoop's ribs (on the underside) was carefully ground down all the way.
    Plus modded the air cleaner base to fit lower down onto carb air horn.

Both mods did the trick. Everything fits. Scoop is down all the way onto hood as normal with 2" air cleaner filter.
    Hood latches down completely as normal with room to spare. No evidence of any rubbing from engine torque 'rock'.
    Air cleaner has standard wing nut on top. Figure it has 3/4" clearance.
    Last edited by gr79; 05-03-2020 at 10:35 AM.

I am psyched you fabbed a solution gr79. The motor mounts are the vert style. The bottom to top height is fixed. I expect (tunnel vision) that the fix is:
    -in the scoop which I'll remove for 0 cost for now
    -an 83 style cowl hood (unlikely as I love to be cheap)
    -or the tear drop that seems unlikely (body shop estimates $1K all in)
    It is ironic that the clearance problem is to the scoop and not the hood anywhere. The back of the hood is raised on the hinges with some spacers for venting thus the rear has some added clearance that it doesn't need now.
    I appreciate your detail and pics, gr79. It helps reviewing your approach and engineering. Safe driving to all this year.

Expanding the tunnel vision, does anyone know if I can get an 82 gt or capri turbo scoop? I'll accept putting some new holes into the hood and finding plastic plugs or buttons for the original holes. Thank you all for nudging me to think.

Quote Originally Posted by 83gttko View Post
    Expanding the tunnel vision, does anyone know if I can get an 82 gt or capri turbo scoop? I'll accept putting some new holes into the hood and finding plastic plugs or buttons for the original holes. Thank you all for nudging me to think.
    If you are looking to buy a forward facing scoop, then please post a WTB in the Classified section. I am not aware of any differences in the forward facing scoop used on the Mustang and Capri. It was used from 79-82 on different Mustangs and the Capri from 79-83. The unique scoops are the Pace Car/Cobra full length Cowl style scoop, the Capri Bulge scoop, and the 83 GT rear facing scoop. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Thank you for the help. Measurements show I need about 2.5 in of clearance above hood line including a 1 in gap for airflow. The 82 gt forward scoop is only about 1 in. So, onto considering a boss 429 style bolt on. I have seen a few online. I thing more than 4 bolts on the hood scoop makes sense for quarter mile top end structural integrity. I posted the body shop if they can extend the stock 83 scoop up. The hood opening has longest span lengthwise 17.5 in with width 23. 5 in to cover up as well. Geez, I see how an 83 cowl hood is the simple way to a resolution. April 11 the track opens. I expect to just run the scoop off for it's maiden runs anyhow.

I've asked the body shop to raise the stock scoop about 2.5 to 3 inches. That is under plan. The boss and thunderbolt style scoops failed to satisfy the planning. Everyone else does cowls so well that I pass. So I'll likely race the opening of the season without the scoop. I am hopeful and anticipating that the stock 83 raised scoop works out. I left if pretty accommodating with the shop as to final look. I want functional and decent yet not restoration or show quality, just not lame.

check out my new scoop in body shop. ThunderStruck
    ed