Close

FEP Member

Default 85 gt exhaust question

ive been collecting parts to switch my 85 over to 86 and up dual exhaust.so far i have a set of stock 93 cobra headers i bought locally,a h pipe my buddy had from years ago,and a set of mac mufflers with 3 inch chrome\stainless tailpipes i got from a 94 gt my buddy was parting out.also have the double hump crossmember and h pipe hanger bracket.my question is.what manifold gaskets should i get?i read a few reviews of the mr gasket copper gaskets but the people claim they seal as good as a screen door on a submarine!any suggestions would be very helpful...thanks! only want to do this once.

I've always had trouble with various styles of gaskets leaking. A good friend swears he switched to high-temp rtv years ago and hasn't had a leak since. I'm going to try it next chance I get.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    86 coupe - rotbox roller
    86 coupe - working on 408w, c4
    88gt - 302 efi, t5

Maybe I'm lucky, but I've just been running a set of Felpro 1415 gaskets and some Stage 8 bolts on some BBK headers with no issues.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (10.5CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley SA "670"), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, STB, KMB, Bilsteins, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

FEP Member

What did they use from the factory? Doesn’t look like these have ever been off.thanks for the suggestions..I’ll look into both..

FEP Member

Would it be smart to replace,what I believe to be original hardware with new header bolts?if so does anybody have a suggestions?if indeed they are original and never been removed,am I in for a battle getting these loose without any mishaps?