Close

FEP Member

Default 85 gt exhaust question

ive been collecting parts to switch my 85 over to 86 and up dual exhaust.so far i have a set of stock 93 cobra headers i bought locally,a h pipe my buddy had from years ago,and a set of mac mufflers with 3 inch chrome\stainless tailpipes i got from a 94 gt my buddy was parting out.also have the double hump crossmember and h pipe hanger bracket.my question is.what manifold gaskets should i get?i read a few reviews of the mr gasket copper gaskets but the people claim they seal as good as a screen door on a submarine!any suggestions would be very helpful...thanks! only want to do this once.

I've always had trouble with various styles of gaskets leaking. A good friend swears he switched to high-temp rtv years ago and hasn't had a leak since. I'm going to try it next chance I get.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Maybe I'm lucky, but I've just been running a set of Felpro 1415 gaskets and some Stage 8 bolts on some BBK headers with no issues.
    Thomas

1985 Mustang GT - Build Thread
    347 (Stock Block, Scat Crank & Rods, Probe Pistons, 11:1 CR, AFR 185's, PP Crosswind Intake, Custom-ground Comp Hyd Roller Cam, Scorpion 1.6 Roller Rockers, Holley 3310-4), T-5, 8.8 w/3.55's, MM SFC's, T/A, PHB, LCA's, Strut Tower Brace, K-Member Brace, Bilstein HD Struts/Shocks, MM/H&R Springs, SN95 5-Lug, Cobra Brakes, '04 Mach 1 Steering Rack

FEP Member

What did they use from the factory? Doesn’t look like these have ever been off.thanks for the suggestions..I’ll look into both..

FEP Member

Would it be smart to replace,what I believe to be original hardware with new header bolts?if so does anybody have a suggestions?if indeed they are original and never been removed,am I in for a battle getting these loose without any mishaps?

FEP Member

Finally got my exhaust switched to duals.my set up is all used parts.i have 93 cobra stock headers I bought locally on Craigslist,a bbk h pipe a buddy had forgot he had,and mac mufflers with 3 inch tips off a 95 Gt that a buddy was parting out for his nephew.. sounds great! A lot like a flow master.for the amount I have in this,I’m very happy..I ended up using the mr gasket soft aluminum gaskets with proform locking header bolts..not one leak!
    https://youtu.be/N07f_ec-qXE

I hope you rerouted your rear brake hard line and went to the 86+ setup back there.
    -- James

Favorite thing I’ve said that’s been requoted: “"40 year old beercan on wheels with too much motor"

My four eyed foxes:
    "Trigger" - 86 Mustang GT - Black with red interior. 5.0 T5 built as Z. Original motor ~1/2 million miles. 18 yr daily, 10 a toy
    "Silver" - 85 Mustang Saleen 1985-006? (Lol) Rare 1E silver GT / charcoal interior. The car is a little bit of a mystery. Current project bought as a roller, tons of Saleen / Racecraft pedigree

Also in the stable - my son’s car. 1986 Mustang GT Convertible. Black/Black/Black conversion. 93 leather. VM1 ECU. T5Z

past foxes -
    1989 Mustang LX Sport 5.0 AOD white/tan black top. Once I ran this one down I caught a wife.
    Wife also had a 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe in the 90's.

I'm a four eyed pride supporter, are you? Become one today!
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/payments.php

FEP Member

I did not.why would I have too?car already had a 8.8 installed before I bought it.nothing seemed out of the ordinary..

Don't think you'll have to relocate the brake line fittings if your car is a factory V8. If your car is a factory 1985 V8 it would have come with dual exhaust that is the same as 1986 and up from the mufflers back. The four cylinder cars had a different setup and to run dual exhaust you need to switch over to the V8 dual exhaust brake line setup.

Regarding gaskets. I've always used the stock Ford gaskets with stock Ford bolts and never had a problem. For race cars I've used the red high temperature RTV and it has worked well for me but I've never run it on the street. I also use ARP studs and nuts specific for the application. They are expensive but really work well. Lots of guys use this RTV on the dyno as it is easy and cheap.