Close

Default Which car to build... and how?

I got a serious dilemma....

I have two four eyed foxes. Let me give you a little back history on them.

86 mustang gt t-top. I bought the car about 2 years ago with the intention of building a nice little daily driver that's decently quick (low 13's.) When I got the car, it needed new rear brakes and rear shocks... I wanted to start with areas of the car that I would normally do last, just to insure I did them. lol I tore all the suspension and brakes out from under the car, and went back with budget friendly set-up:

Suspension/Brakes
    94-94 front spindles/brakes
    sn95 ball joints
    94-98 8.8 with 3:73 gears
    Koni orange shocks and struts
    sve camber plates
    UPR tubular lowers
    UPR adjustable uppers
    torque box reinforments
    All new poly bushings throughout the suspension
    All new soft brake hoses (lines looked good and I got lazy)
    Cobra r's with new tires for daily - tribars with m/t drag radials for strip

I then tore the interior out. I pictured as a clean stockish interior with some nice leather seats up front (I was going to hit the junk yard and dig through all makes and models tell I found something I really liked), a rear seat delete, and 4 point roll bar (business up front, party in the back?

I gutted the interior, and cut out a couple small rust holes, and welded in new metal. I undercoat the floor pan, and then put down a layer of sound deadener. I ordered a new carpet from LMR, installed that and did a console delete. I ordered a new headliner and installed that .

At this point I really wanted to start driving the car to keep me motivated, so I picked up a set of cheap v6 new edge seat just so I could drive the car.

The car ran a little warm with the a/c blasting on hot days, so I installed a sve alum. radiator and volvo fan to take car of that issue.

I installed ford racing headers and a mac o/r h-pipe to compliment the existing flowmaster cat back.

I bought a explorer 5.0 that I'm freshing up with new cam (undecided) and alex springs, along with a 3.8 t5 (budget stuff.) I was gathering the parts to swap the car to mass air.

Plan was to finish the interior, swap in the new motor and trans, and toss on a quick (5-10ft) paint job.

The car runs and drives great. I drive it 75 miles EVERY day through the week, and probably just as much on the weekends. Hasn't gave me any real issues, and never broke down on me.

But this weekend things changed. I've been eye balling this super clean little LTD for years, but the guy wouldn't turn loose of it... finally one of my buddies sent me a link to a for sale ad that had the car listed, it was finally my chance and I snagged her up.

I know I want to build one of the cars into a budget drag/weekend car, and the other more into a nice street car that I daily drive. I'm just not sure on which for what. No matter what, the LTD will get a v8 swap, the exterior will stay stock, as will the interior. Probably slab some 10 holes or turbines on her either way.

I could continue with my original plans of swapping the GT over to a 5 speed with the explorer motor. I think with a 150 shot, high 11's or low 12's shouldn't be a problem. I could then take the engine and trans that I pulled from the 86, and swap it into the LTD (still be a fun daily)

Or I could keep the stock motor and trans in the 86 and use it for my nice daily that's just fast enough to be fun... and drop the explorer motor and t5 into the LTD and try for high 11's or low 12's in it.

Logic says the ltd might be a more comfortable daily, and would have 4 drs.… but honestly, I don't need another family car, I just need a daily driver to get me back and fourth to work, that's not super boring to drive....

Option 1: Drop explorer motor and t5 into mustang, and the mustangs 5.0 (with a carb) and aod into the ltd. I then daily drive the LTD and focus getting the mustang as fast as possible as cheap as possible.

Option 2: Keep the mustang stock, finish the interior, give it a quick paint job, and turn it into a nice daily.... I then drop the explorer motor (with a carb) and t5 into the ltd and spray down the house, hoping for the 11's...

I'm leaning towards option 2. Later on down the road I would probably grab another explorer 5.0 and toss a h.o cam in it and swap it into the stang. I would probably leave the aod in with a stock converter, maybe build the aod if it ever gives me fits.

So what would you guys do?

Name:  DSCN1313.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  339.6 KB

Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 114
Size:  104.9 KB

Name:  70376698_2890534690976707_3765057091467739136_n.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  112.2 KB

Name:  70540008_429485921003682_2574285461715419136_n.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  103.7 KB
    My Previous Stangs:
    86 GT, t-tops, 5 speed.
    87 GT, sunroof, 5 speed.
    88 GT, sunroof, 5 speed.
    89 LX, Sunroof, Roller (project)
    90 Coupe, LX, 2.3, 5 speed.

FEP Power Member

I like idea #2.

Keep the LTD paint and interior as stock looking as possible and definitely keep the hubcaps if possible.
    Let people think you borrowed grandma's car for a couple of hours to bring it to the strip, then lay down some decent times.

I don't know if I can answer your question for you, but I can offer a couple of opinions. First, I'm much more looking forward to seeing what you do with the LTD than the Mustang. Second, I don't like cars that are too "racecar" (roll cage, etc).
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Default Looking down the road

The LTD was a great find and story. Congrads.

Driving 75 miles a day racks up the miles real quick. Tires, oil changes, brakes.
    At that rate, 3-4 years will add over 100,000 miles on top of current.
    The cars are not new. Chassis metal fatigue, corrosion, wear on everything.

Keep both cars as is for now. Bullet proof can be boring but long turn driving fun is not.
    The Mustang is in the sweet spot of performance. Now to preserve that.
    Driving the mild LTD will make the Mustang seem even faster and gives new perspective of cars.
    My Mustang is real enjoyable to drive, but on bad weather days glad i have the 2.3 Ranger.
    Two daily drivers can cut the miles of wear in 1/2.
    Maybe when either car's engine finally lets go, that is the car that gets the Explorer engine.

Drove my Mustang every day in the 80's. Wish i did not have to. Rust issue mostly.
    A second dd vehicle. Great for when one is down for repair or a change of pace, mood. Pinch hitter.

A drag car is a money pit. Yah its a blast. First 12's, then 11's, then 10's. DD to hobby.
    Sits most of the time. Faster is goes, the less can be driven on street. Ok as 3rd car, not a backup ride.
    Big money for 48 seconds of bottom line anxiety (four 12 sec track runs). Great projects.
    The towing to the track, constant tuning, work and time to keep it rolling couple seconds faster.

Someday, that LTD would be fun set up like an LTD LX of that year. Would not be hard to do, if even just the suspension.
    In '87, bought a 85 LTD LX with ww tires, poly rims. Wanted turbines. Test of patience. Did not own it long enough to mod.
    The 4 door Mustang. Sleepers. Comfy to drive. Hauls back seat guests easily.
    Fun setup with an 5.0, firm shifting AOD, hd suspension, decent rear gear.
    A spare engine/trans ready to go into either car is money in the bank.

Whatever happens, am sure it will be done due to determination!

For now, I think I'm going to focus on the ltd.

I do have an 05 blazer that runs and drives good. I bought it for my wife last winter, but she didn't really like it... so I bought her an 05 denali and the blazer has just been sitting.... I guess I should probably start driving that as my everyday driver.
    My Previous Stangs:
    86 GT, t-tops, 5 speed.
    87 GT, sunroof, 5 speed.
    88 GT, sunroof, 5 speed.

I keep having these dumb thoughts of putting the mustang up for sale....
    My Previous Stangs:
    86 GT, t-tops, 5 speed.
    87 GT, sunroof, 5 speed.
    88 GT, sunroof, 5 speed.