Close

FEP User

Default 85 gt underhood light bulb

what is the correct bulb number for the under hood light bulb? also anyone have pics on how and where it is run and how it hooks up = complete harness....I'm doing a factory correct placement and install.

The bulb is an "89" mini bulb. The end of the under hood light harness attaches to the starter solenoid and then is wire tied to the main harness that runs up the passenger side fender apron, then up to under the hood near the hood hinge. It has plastic clips that clip into the hood. There is a mercury switch in the bulb housing that will turn the light on when the hood is raised.

The harnesses are not easy to find, but they come up on Ebay from time to time.

Name:  Underhood light harness.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  87.0 KB
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

FEP User

I have a harness or at least half of it...was the original a solid wire from the light to the selonoid? meaning no connector in between? cause the light I have looks just like yours but has a connector that is about half way , meaning it'll reach to about the hood hinge where the connector is.

Here is the under hood of a Capri, Mustang should be the same.Name:  B0A9366A-AF60-4F15-9B58-036F5ACB9148.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  216.7 KB

The harness runs over the shock tower to the solenoid with no connector, but it runs through a fusible link. Remember, an unprotected wire is a fire waiting to happen.
    W

As always, "It ain't what you don't know that gets you, it's what you think you know that just ain't so."

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by WilliamCapri View Post
    Here is the under hood of a Capri, Mustang should be the same.Name:  B0A9366A-AF60-4F15-9B58-036F5ACB9148.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  216.7 KB

The harness runs over the shock tower to the solenoid with no connector, but it runs through a fusible link. Remember, an unprotected wire is a fire waiting to happen.
    do you know what amp the fusible link is?

The "fusible link" is the blue barrel shaped piece near the end of the wire at the eyelet. The eyelet connects to the starter solenoid. It is a 20ga fusible link (20ga = blue). Typically, the fusible link will protect wiring that is 4 sizes larger than the fusible link. So in this case the wiring should be about 16 gauge. 16 gauge wire should carry about 10 - 12 amps I believe. If your wire harness does not have the fusible link connected to it, there are fusible link repair sections that you can purchase.
    If they take my stapler, then I'll set the building on fire...

85 Mustang GT

FEP User

Quote Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
    The "fusible link" is the blue barrel shaped piece near the end of the wire at the eyelet. The eyelet connects to the starter solenoid. It is a 20ga fusible link (20ga = blue). Typically, the fusible link will protect wiring that is 4 sizes larger than the fusible link. So in this case the wiring should be about 16 gauge. 16 gauge wire should carry about 10 - 12 amps I believe. If your wire harness does not have the fusible link connected to it, there are fusible link repair sections that you can purchase.
    thank you!! I think a inline 5 amp fuse will be plenty......I doubt that bulb will draw 10 to 12 amps

FEP Member

Has anyone tried an LED for the 89 mini bulb?

Quote Originally Posted by darkd0r View Post
    Has anyone tried an LED for the 89 mini bulb?
    Yes. I got this one: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/engine-compartment-light-bulb/67-led-light-bulb-12-smd-led-tower-ba15s-base/3698/

Brighter and cooler color than incandescent bulb.
    1985 GT owned since new

On my 86 the underhood bulb has the same size base as a backup light bulb which is a 1156. I used a LED replacement for that 1156, much brighter and less current draw.

FEP Member

Thank you both for the info!