Close

Default Installing Pre-Bent Brakelines

Maybe someone can explain to me WTF i'm doing wrong here. I bought these prebent under-hood brake lines for '87-93 application. This is the passenger side, obviously, but look at it. It's not even close!

Another look

It seems to be actually bent in the OPPOSITE direction from where it needs to go, AWAY from the frame rail instead of TOWARDS it.

Anyone have any ideas? I don't think it's backwards or anything because the other side seems to line up pretty nicely.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

The line should go through the Oblong shaped hole in the strut tower on the back side and then down to the frame rail.

Going thru the frame rail

Name:  2016-09-02 17.27.52.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  82.2 KB

Inside the fender well.

Name:  2016-09-02 17.28.03.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  111.7 KB
    Last edited by wraithracing; 09-02-2016 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Add Pictures
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I'll be damned... So there's supposed to be a hole, you say?

Thanks, Trey. I knew you'd have something for me!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well there is on the Mustang. You crazy Zephyr drivers . . . you never know!

Glad to help!
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Here's what my '90 looked like, modded for later brakes.

Name:  Mustang brake line.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  256.4 KB

I think the clamp is correct and the line should point forward and then back into the end bracket.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Well there is on the Mustang. You crazy Zephyr drivers . . . you never know!

Glad to help!
    You WISH you had my engine bay. A lot less holes to fill. Although, I've added most of them mine didn't have anyway fitting the newer components. I guess this is another one I have to add!

Thank you too, Mike!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

I was gonna say, I'm sure that line needs to run outside the inner fender. I have to say though, I don't like where the line's running so close to right under the underside of that hood hinge... and, why does the line look so scrunched just to the right of the hood hinge?...
    Mike
    1986 Mustang convertible ---> BUILD THREAD
    Past Fox-chassis "four eyes":
    1983 Mercury Cougar LS
    1986 Ford Thunderbird ELAN
    1980 Capri RS Turbo

Work in progress website ---> http://carb-rebuilds-plus.boards.net/

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Tall View Post
    I was gonna say, I'm sure that line needs to run outside the inner fender. I have to say though, I don't like where the line's running so close to right under the underside of that hood hinge... and, why does the line look so scrunched just to the right of the hood hinge?...
    Yeah, haha obviously it's not in its final spot. It will be right along the pinch weld. That's as far down as i could get it since it's not meant to fit between the firewall and the strut tower. It's supposed to EXIT the strut tower, unbeknownst to me at the time.

I'm glad i hadn't complained to LMR yet!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Is there any trickery with the driver's side?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Here are some Pictures of my 85 LTD LX, using the LMR (Classic Tube, Stainless Steel Brake Lines for 87-93 Mustang). At the same time, I'm also updating the brakes to Cobra Brakes. It installed pretty easy with everything out of the way, the LTD LX is surprising similar to the later Mustang, so it had all the correct holes. The Cobra Power Booster went in by just modifying one of the firewall holes, the strut tower clearance was not any problem, no need to modify with a hammer. (Although I have the same setup in an 89 Mustang and had to lighting tap for clearance.)

Awesome, that gives me a very good look at things! Thank you!
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Well, it's in the hole.

Now i just have to move my bigass fuel lines out of the way so i can move the softline bracket. I'm still not sure what i'm going to do at the former proportioning valve. Everything seems to roughly line up, but the driver's side line seems to go way past where the former proportioning valve sits. Perhaps it's meant for a setup like yours, Fastlane, although, the rear MC to PV line didn't have the T-fitting...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

FEP Senior Member Patrick Olsen's Avatar

If one is going to be installing SN95 type brakes into an F/Z (an '82 Zephyr Z7, to be specific), is it better to buy the '87-93 Classic Tube / LMR lines and adapt them as necessary, or to buy the SN95 non-ABS lines (probably the '94/95 version)? Anybody know what's different between them? For that matter, what about the earlier Fox kits? CT's catalog shows a dozen different power disk brake line kits from '79 to '93.

Now that I've typed that, I looked at pricing and have to think it would be better to buy the '87-93 kit and then adapt it as necessary. The non-ABS '94/95 setup is about twice as expensive as the '87-93 setup! And all of the dozen '79-93 part numbers are priced the same, even the '93 Cobra rear disk setup.

[It would be nice if Classic Tube or LMR would actually specify what the various kits include. The only description on their website is the number of pieces and a blurry 600x400 image that is useless for comparing different kits.]
    '89 GT convertible - not a four-eye
    '82 Zephyr Z7 - future track car

For what its worth, I'm running stock 86 brake lines. SN95 braided brake hoses, 99-04 GT calipers. (hate these calipers BTW..... nothing but trouble)

I had to use a line adapter on passenger side. My other options was to re-double flare the line with the proper size fitting. I went with an adapter because the project had already taken 500x longer than it should have and I just wanted to get the car the hell out of my garage.

Those with info -- great discussion for the 5 lug conversion thread!

I still haven't had time to research what 4 lug rotors fit fox axles and would work with SN95 style rear brakes BTW. I know they are out there because I've seen one done. Reportedly they used a Toyota rotor. Not sure what Toyota rotor though.... arg.

Pat,

All SN95 applications have metric ISO bubble flare fittings on the stock combination valve. Fox cars are all SAE inverted flare.

Strangely, the end of the hard lines to the front caliper hoses are still SAE inverted flare on SN95 cars! The caliper hoses must have originally come from some other application for that to happen.

SN95 cars route the brake lines to allow the use of ABS.

I would use the 1987-93 routing. Simpler and cheaper.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Don't forget to cut the holes in the backs of the strut towers.

To revisit where I left off with this thread, I was able to bolt everything up to the combo valve. And then I later ended up ditching it in favor of unions anyway. The thing I was trying to fix by replacing all these lines is still not fixed, bee tee dub...
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Thanks, guys.

I assume these kits include the brake line that runs to the rear of the car? If so, obviously it would come up short due to the F/Z's longer wheelbase. So did you use that line at all, or just modify the stock setup?

Why wouldn't you run with the 86 Mustang lines then add fittings, a union or two, and a bit of hard line from the auto parts store and extend it?

If you are running dual exhaust you will want the 86+ style brake line setup in back. AFAIK its the easiest way.

When we pulled the 7.5 and went to an 8.8 on my 85 Saleen clone build we also added rear disc using the North Racecar kit that leverages 93 Cobra / 87-88 Tbird rear brakes. (Info should be in the build thread I think)

To do the install, Trey had me ship down the 86 fitting. We could have made the old lines from the 8.8 work, but they were 400K mile junk so he also had be get the rear disc brake lines for a 93 Cobra / 87-88 Turbo Coupe. (or some application..... it was that if I remember correctly)

I just bought a front kit and skipped the line to the rear for now.
    Brad

'17 Ford Focus ST

Quote Originally Posted by ZephyrEFI View Post
    Don't forget to cut the holes in the backs of the strut towers.
    I have a template in the form of my '89 Mustang, so that will come in handy when it's time to cut holes.

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    Why wouldn't you run with the 86 Mustang lines then add fittings, a union or two, and a bit of hard line from the auto parts store and extend it?
    I wouldn't run with an '86 Mustang line because I don't have one. When it comes to ordering from Classic Tube, is there something different/better about the '86 vs. the '87-93? (They have them listed separately - MU-1054 for "1986 V8 - Power Disc - 8.8 Axle" and MU-1046 for "1987-1993 Power Disc 8 Cylinder" [which we know means 8.8 rear].)

Quote Originally Posted by erratic50 View Post
    If you are running dual exhaust you will want the 86+ style brake line setup in back. AFAIK its the easiest way.
    That's basically my intention. I actually have a complete rear brake line from a junkyard '94/95 GT - I took from a union up in the passenger wheel well back to the roughly centerline fitting in the driveshaft tunnel where the soft line back to the 8.8 connects. And I have a new one of those centerline fittings, too, from LMR. I was just wondering if someone had actually used the Mustang brake line (lengthened as necessary) to see how it mates up to the underside of the F/Z. The conventional wisdom is that "everything is the same from the front seats forward", so based on that I think I should be able to use the Classic Tube piece for a Mustang to start the rear hard line at the front. Then I can use the '94/95 GT piece coming forward from that rear LMR bracket. Figure out where the two come together and join them with a union.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Olsen View Post
    I have a template in the form of my '89 Mustang, so that will come in handy when it's time to cut holes.

I wouldn't run with an '86 Mustang line because I don't have one. When it comes to ordering from Classic Tube, is there something different/better about the '86 vs. the '87-93? (They have them listed separately - MU-1054 for "1986 V8 - Power Disc - 8.8 Axle" and MU-1046 for "1987-1993 Power Disc 8 Cylinder" [which we know means 8.8 rear].)
    If looking at the full brake line set, the difference is the front brake lines between the 86 and the 87-93 V8 cars. If using the later model 87-93 M/C then the 87-93 kit would probably be best. If using the 79-86 style MC then the 86 kit would be the better choice.
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller