Close

Default 84 comp prep question

Did any other 84 comp prep cars come with factory air? Mine has air and nothing else option wise besides the aftermarket sunroof. The radio and ant has the block plates on them. I know these parts can be bought off ebay now days though. I never got any history on my 84 the kid I bought it from did not know what a svo was actually much less mustang history ugh.
    68 Mustang coupe, #83 79 Pace Car, 1984 SVO, 1996 Mystic Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2009 Mustang GT.

To my knowledge the 1984 SVO could be ordered with different options than the later models, so you have more unusual combinations than the later year model SVO's.

I might be wrong, but my understanding is that if your SVO has factory Ford OEM A/C that is technically not a Competition Prep model. I am sure other SVO enthusiasts more informed than I can verify or nullify that, but that was my understanding from many years of knowing Jim Whelan of Motion Dynamics.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thats kind of what I understood about the comp prep no cars having AC. I guess I just need to get a Marti done on it see what it came with. I'm assuming someone along the line added the radio delete and antenna delete. If anyone else has any info on the 84 comp prep cars or break down of options for a 84 post up please.
    68 Mustang coupe, #83 79 Pace Car, 1984 SVO, 1996 Mystic Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2009 Mustang GT.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    To my knowledge the 1984 SVO could be ordered with different options than the later models, so you have more unusual combinations than the later year model SVO's.

I might be wrong, but my understanding is that if your SVO has factory Ford OEM A/C that is technically not a Competition Prep model. I am sure other SVO enthusiasts more informed than I can verify or nullify that, but that was my understanding from many years of knowing Jim Whelan of Motion Dynamics.

Wraith is your 84 a option delete car or yours have all power? Id like to know how many 84s were built with the option delete before they came standard with everything? HMMM

My 84 SVO has PW/PL but no sunroof. It is also an A/C car. I almost bought more than one "Comp Prep" SVO's years ago from Jim Whelan, but living in TX the thought of no A/C took all the desire out of the purchase.

IIRC, after Feb 29, 1984 was when Ford made most of the option standard on the SVO. If the car is a Comp prep after that date there was a code 41 that deleted most of those power options. Another code again IIRC is the (4) on the VC for the Radio.

If you have the buck tag and the door tag, post both of them in the Decode section and Foxchassis will decipher them for you and that should tell you what you have.
    ​Trey

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

Might be worth checking out the Dealer Brochure. Won't answer all of your questions, but . . .

http://foureyedpride.com/fep_bild/v/...stang/album35/
    ​Trey

Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller

FEP Power Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stripnzinc View Post
    Did any other 84 comp prep cars come with factory air? Mine has air and nothing else option wise besides the aftermarket sunroof. The radio and ant has the block plates on them. I know these parts can be bought off ebay now days though. I never got any history on my 84 the kid I bought it from did not know what a svo was actually much less mustang history ugh.
    Best way is to get one of the $18 Marti reports. Lowest vin number so far for a 84 comp prep is 17xxx. If it is factory Air it is not a comp prep, it could have add on air. It also must have quad shocks and built after March. All the ones I have seen so far have been built in April or later. I have three of them, two were raced in showroom stock SCCA.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Kendal

If your SVO has A/C, and no PL or PW, and all of that is 'factory', you have what some people call an (oxymoronic term) "option delete". Your door tag, buck tag, owner card, and build sheet, all of which I can decode, will tell you what the car did and did not have originally. If your car does not have tags/card/sheet you will need a Marti report to confirm.

"Radio Credit (Delete)" (regular production option code 58Y/door tag code Y) was not an option in the 1984 SVO, so the radio delete plate and antenna delete plate in your car were definitely not factory installed. Before the CP option was available the standard radio in the SVO was the AM/FM stereo (RPO 584/ door tag code 4). After the CP option became available the standard radio in the non-CP 1984 SVO became the AM/FM stereo with auto-reverse cassette tape player (RPO 588/door tag code 8) and the 584/4 code radio came with the CP option.

Premium Sound System (RPO 913) was standard in all 1984 SVOs. This included an "AMP" switch in the console to turn the amplifier on and off. (1985 and 1986 SVOs didn't have that switch.)

The AM radio (door tag code 2) was reserved for the L/LX/GT/Turbo GT in the 1984 model year.
    Last edited by FoxChassis; 09-07-2019 at 07:18 AM.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

According the Ford Performance Group there were ...

357 "option delete" 1984 SVOs without air conditioning (RPO 572)
    252 "option delete" 1984 SVOs without AM/FM cassette (RPO 588)
    521 "option delete" 1984 SVOs without power windows (RPO 64R)
    546 "option delete" 1984 SVOs without power locks (RPO 963)
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Thanks for all the info guys. Interesting stuff. Foxchassis is that ford performance info available to public or? I will go out tomorrow and try get some
    pics of the door and buck tag. I haven't pulled the carpet yet to see if build sheet is under there yet. I've had my hands full with my 79 pace car last few weeks. Trying to get it done all the paint and body my end of next month.

Quote Originally Posted by KCoker View Post
    Best way is to get one of the $18 Marti reports. Lowest vin number so far for a 84 comp prep is 17xxx. If it is factory Air it is not a comp prep, it could have add on air. It also must have quad shocks and built after March. All the ones I have seen so far have been built in April or later. I have three of them, two were raced in showroom stock SCCA.

Ya I'm def going the marti route on it. Out all my stangs I think the svo is the most interesting one. Hell a fun to drive as well. FYI that's a amazing collection you have!

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    Might be worth checking out the Dealer Brochure. Won't answer all of your questions, but . . .

http://foureyedpride.com/fep_bild/v/...stang/album35/

Hey thanks. I've been reading that. Pretty cool stuff about the 84's.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripnzinc View Post
    Foxchassis is that ford performance info available to public or?
    You get a copy of it when you buy a build certificate from them.

http://www.fordshowparts.com/store_c...roduct_id=6994
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

Interesting in that I just bought an 84 SVO that has A/C, but no PW or PL. It has an aftermarket radio so who knows on that. I looked on the core support but couldn't find the buck tag.

steve

Radio code is on the door tag, if the tag is still on the car and is legible.

Buck tag is sometimes hard to see/find. There are some brackets in the area and the tag could be behind them. The radio code is not on the buck tag.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder