Close

Default reproduction fenders 79-90

Ive tried searching the threads for info on repop fenders but didnt find much. Are they worth it? there is a set on ebay 125 shipped. my passenger fender on my 79 pace car has rust issues. I can repair it or just save alot of time and do a fender swap. Just wanting opinions if anyone has had luck with repop fenders.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-For-...MAAOSwThddZN5O
    68 Mustang coupe, #83 79 Pace Car, 1984 SVO, 1996 Mystic Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2009 Mustang GT.

Its been years since I used any reproduction fenders, so can't guarantee any of my experience matches with today's parts.

Years ago, the body lines were not as crisply stamped as OEM. The fit was ok, but again not to the same level as OEM. They worked and functioned just fine and for a daily driver that just needs a fender or two they would work fine.

Personally I would try my best to find a good OEM fender or two if that is what you need. Overall you will be happier in the long run IMHO.

You don't state where you are in NM, but I am in Colorado and do have some spares. So it's possible I might be able to help you out if you can't find anything closer to home. Feel free to send me a PM if you like. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

FEP Supporter

I replaced a couple of fenders on a 79 recently. Both with JY finds; one OEM (off an 83) and one aftermarket replacement (off the same 83).

Subtle differences from 79:

1. Hood rubber bumper holes. 79 had the press in kind. 80 up and aftermarket (I assume) had the slot and slide in kind.
    2. Fender to cowl/firewall; I had to trim the inside lip of the fender to clear where it met the firewall cowl for both to fit on our 79.
    3. Extra inner fender lip screw for fender splash shield. I found the 79 splash shield had an extra screw location at the top of the fender lip. The replacements did not so I drilled one for each side.

If the repair on the original fender isn't too bad, it may be worth the effort! Maybe you can find a 79 one instead!

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis T View Post
    I think this is my favorite car on the site right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLUECRAPI
    This is the best thread on the internet.
    Darran
    1982-1C (Black) GT T-Top:http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...he-Road-Thread
    1986-9L (Oxford White) SVO: http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...d-did-1986-SVO
    1979 (85:Tangerine) Coupe (my son's): http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...gerine-Machine
    1979 (3F:Light Medium Blue) Coupe (one day to be my other son's!) http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...um-Blue-Bomber!

I completly sanded down the pass fender this evening and it's just in one spot the rust issue. I'm just going to cut it out and weld in a patch do the body work on it. Sounds like more of a hassle to get the repop fenders and I'd like the car to be as original as possible. Thanks for the reply guys.
    68 Mustang coupe, #83 79 Pace Car, 1984 SVO, 1996 Mystic Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2009 Mustang GT.

I will throw in my opinion based solely on my experience. I am not now nor never was a body man. Trey has installed way more fenders than I ever have. However, with that out of the way, I will say this. I have been working on Foxes since they were new. Back in the day when you could go right to the Ford dealer and buy a new fender. The "OEM" fenders that you bought across the parts counter did NOT necessarily fit like a factory part even then. OEM did NOT guarantee fitment. Once I had bought a few and began discussing this with my painter, I found he was not surprised. The "OEM" parts you buy across the counter were assembly line rejects due to some defects. I bought a (visually perfect appearing) fender once and the crease in the center of it did not line up with anything. This was not due to an accident or other damage to the car. My painter said that was likely a rejected part from the assembly line due to poor fitment that got put into the replacement parts chain. So they could still make something from them. So my point is, OEM does not necessarily mean perfect fit either.

I agree with the statements above. Overall the fit and finish of the 80's parts was fair at best. As stated just because they are OEM or NOS doesn't guarantee "Perfect" fitment. With that said, overall I have had good luck with good used fenders that have come off of production Mustangs and Capris.

The 87-90 fenders work just fine on the Four Eyed Mustangs and the 91-93 fenders can work also if you are willing to modify your front moldings. Yes, the 87-93 fenders will have the holes for the bolt on front moldings, but the standard 79-84 and 85/86 double sided tape moldings will still fit and work just fine. So keep that in mind if you are looking for good used fenders. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I've used those fenders on both my 88 and 85 and had great luck with fitment. Only issue was the passenger side of the 85 I had to work the fender slightly to fit right at the bottom.
    Pic of the 88 back in 2013.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White