Close

Default Inaccurate Dipstick

I went to check the oil in my mustang and it read that it was about an inch above the full dot on the dip stick. I drained the oil, and the dipstick still reads that there is oil above the “safe” mark. I pretty much know nothing about these fox bodies, so sorry if this is a dumb question. Is there an easy way to fix this, or do i just truly not know how to read a dipstick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you drained the oil, then the only thing I can think of is the dipstick is rubbing on the side of the block or the tube and picking up residual oil to give that indication. Maybe try tweaking the end of the dipstick a bit to prevent it from hitting or rubbing on anything. I would think you bend it slightly away from the marked side and see what happens.

It's always possible you have the wrong dipstick, but if its reading above full when the engine is drained of oil, then something has to be wrong. What year, engine, etc. are you working on?
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    If you drained the oil, then the only thing I can think of is the dipstick is rubbing on the side of the block or the tube and picking up residual oil to give that indication. Maybe try tweaking the end of the dipstick a bit to prevent it from hitting or rubbing on anything. I would think you bend it slightly away from the marked side and see what happens.

It's always possible you have the wrong dipstick, but if its reading above full when the engine is drained of oil, then something has to be wrong. What year, engine, etc. are you working on?
    I got it figured out, I did not know there was another oil plug towards the back of the pan. Just shows to go I know nothing about these cars haha. Thanks for the help though

Quote Originally Posted by lukerbsn View Post
    I got it figured out, I did not know there was another oil plug towards the back of the pan. Just shows to go I know nothing about these cars haha. Thanks for the help though

I almost asked if you had removed both drain plugs, but wasn't sure if you were working on a V8 or something else. Now you know!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Change the oil by capacity start car, turn off, then check oil. Wherever it is, that's your full mark. scratch a line there, all good.