Close

Default 86 GT No Power after Clutch install

We did the clutch, clutch cable fly wheel, etc. Got it all back together and on the ground and no power, no crank.

On first attempt we heard the fuel pump engage and then a "click" under the hood. After that, nothing.

No lights, no dash, no nuthin'. battery reads 12.25v (and is connected).

1986 EFI.

Any guidance on where to start troubleshooting would be great.
    Thanks.
    1985.5 Jalapeno Red SVO

First and foremost, your battery voltage is LOW! Anything under 12.6 volts is technically discharged. So first put that on a battery charger. Should be 13 volts +/- after charging fully on a 2-3 amp trickle charge.

Double check your engine and chassis grounds. That includes the ground cable from the battery and your grounding straps from the engine to the body. Next double check your battery connections to make sure they are clean with no corrosion and good metal to metal contact. If at this point you still have nothing, then you need to check your actual cables for possible corrosion damage internal to the cable itself. Check for voltage at the solenoid. Double check your solenoid. The clicking was mostly the solenoid try to switch and allow the car to start, but you have lost ground, power, or the solenoid has failed. I would guess one of the first two since you have no power to the vehicle. Make sure to wiggle, tug, etc. all the connections to verify they are solidly connected. The odds are its something simple and easy, so just take some time to double check EVERYTHING! Don't assume anything. I had similar issue with my 86 when I installed the engine back in it a week or so ago. Tried to start it and big click and then couldn't get it to crank. Had power, lights, etc. but no cranking. Checked everything and ended up jumping the solenoid and suddenly everything worked again. Not sure why, but its all fixed now.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Trey,
    Thanks for the great info. Those are goodplaces to start.
    There was a ground strap connected to the DS cylinder had that was not connected to anything so we connected it to the fire wall.
    The battery is currently charging.

What and where would b=we find other engine and chassis grounds?

Thanks aging for the great reply.
    1985.5 Jalapeno Red SVO

There should be a ground strap on the driver side of the back of the engine that grounds to the firewall near the speedometer cable. There is a major ground for the EFI wiring at the back of the intake on the driver side. Usually grounded to the threaded intake bolt at the back of the intake. Your negative battery cable should ground to the block, generally on the passenger side on the bolt at the front of the block near the timing cover just above the air pump or so. I think I am still missing one, but that's all I can think of right now. If everything worked before the clutch job, then you had to remove, loosen, or disturb something in the process.

Do you have power from the battery to the solenoid? If you jump the solenoid with a screwdriver does the starter motor turn over? Are you sure both battery cables are in good condition and don't need to be replaced due to age or mileage? Any chance your ignition switch on the column is bad? That could be the source of all your issues and if original or old, they are prone to separating and causing all kinds of crazy electrical issues. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller