Close

Default fuel filler door

Every time it rains I get a pool of water inside the fuel door compartment. No other car I ever owned did that. Anybody else have that issue?

I dont think theres a way to water proof it but was thinking of drilling a drain hole.

I'm pretty sure it has drain holes. Any chance yours is stopped up or maybe painted over?
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

There is a drain in the fuel filler bucket. It is on the left hand (back end of the car) side as you look at the fuel door. There is a drain line that runs from that fitting down to the rear bumper cover and there is a small plastic fitting that attaches the drain line to the rear bumper cover. I would recommend using a cut coat hanger or something long and thin to feed into the drain line and verify that it is not clogged. Most likely you will find dirt, debris, wasp nest, etc. so break it loose with the wire and then blow it out with an air gun and you should be fine.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    There is a drain in the fuel filler bucket. It is on the left hand (back end of the car) side as you look at the fuel door. There is a drain line that runs from that fitting down to the rear bumper cover and there is a small plastic fitting that attaches the drain line to the rear bumper cover. I would recommend using a cut coat hanger or something long and thin to feed into the drain line and verify that it is not clogged. Most likely you will find dirt, debris, wasp nest, etc. so break it loose with the wire and then blow it out with an air gun and you should be fine.
    Thanks, I'll have to try to remember to check that. I just dropped my car off at the body shop to fix a few points of failure from the paint job I got 2 summers back. They will have it a week. I am getting knee replacement literally a day or so after I expect the car back and I expect to be recuperating for at least a month before I can go out and even drive a car.

Wasn't it you who just asked this question the other day on the FEP FaceBook page? It was answered clearly by several other regulars as well as myself.

If it wasn't you it was somebody who asked the question using pretty much the exact same wording. No big deal.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Ken P View Post
    Wasn't it you who just asked this question the other day on the FEP FaceBook page? It was answered clearly by several other regulars as well as myself.

If it wasn't you it was somebody who asked the question using pretty much the exact same wording. No big deal.
    No I did not post this on FB but if I did so what? Sometimes I do use multiple forums. But No I am not even aware there is a FEP facebook page. I belong to a few long Island Mustang groups on FB thats all.

Must just be a coincidence.
    86 LX Coupe 4E
    84 SVO Watkins Glen Pace Car 1E
    85 SVO Hertz 4E
    85.5 SVO 2R orig owner
    86 SVO 7B
    66 Fastback
    55 Willys Jeep Overland Wagon