Close

Default Duraspark problems

After fighting a misfire in my pace car, I've pretty much decided it's probably my MSD ignition....either the distributor or the 6AL box. So I decided to go back to the duraspark 2 setup. I robbed the ignition harness off my 79 cobra. The distributor looked ok, but the ignition module was beyond roached. So I picked up a new one from the parts store. Afterward, I found that I also had another brand new one...don't recall where I got it, but I believe it is BWD brand.

My car has an aftermarket Holley electric fuel pump...302 with holley carb. I plugged in the harness and hooked everything up. I'm using an aftermarket ignition coil...I have 3 of them lying around. After hooking up the duraspark system, the fuel pump wouldn't kick on. I checked the relay with my meter and it was only getting 5 or 6 volts. After some poking around, I found that the coil was getting very hot with the ignition in the run position (engine off). Some more poking around under the hood, and I found that I could unplug the 12v wire from the module and my fuel pump would have 12v again...coil not getting hot, but of course, I had no spark. I found that I could get the fuel pump to kick on by unplugging the module and then plugging it back in. As soon as I unplug the 12v supply wire to the module, the fuel pump will kick on (key in "run" position, of course). If I plug the module back in, I can hear the fuel pump bog down, but it will stay running. Car will then start up and sounds like it's running great. But coil will still get hot and fuel pump relay is only getting 5-6v. Obviously, something is grounding out whenever I have power to the module.

I tried different coils, both modules, the old distributor, and even removed the old harness and wired each connection individually...going by wiring diagrams I found online and in my manuals. Nothing helped.

At this point, I'm at a loss. Oh...and I tried running separate 12v wires to the coil and module (straight from battery) and even installed a separate 12v wire (with and without a ballast resistor) to the coil.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thx!
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

Installed a stock coil today and did some more testing. Can't seem to find anything wrong, but the coil is definitely getting way too hot no matter what I do. If I can't figure this out today, I'm just going to order a pertronix digital ignition box. Similar to a 6AL, but a lot smaller.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

FEP Supporter

Maybe this will help sort things out...

Name:  durasparkwiring.gif
Views: 215
Size:  16.5 KB

This one shows the solenoid...

Name:  duraspark diagram 2.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  96.9 KB
    Last edited by qikgts; 08-27-2019 at 04:49 PM.
    '85 GT

Thanks for posting this. Unfortunately, this is exactly how I had it wired. If I hook the 6AL up, the voltage/coil issues go away, but the misfire is back. I just so happened to have another 6AL (this one is a 6AL "digital"). I hooked it up temporarily and car seemed to run fine. So I'm going to blame the misfire on the other box. I have it mounted back behind the passenger shock tower, which is a terrible place. Not only is is probably prone to overheating there, but the wiring is all but impossible to get to if you need to check things out. I don't really have room anywhere else for these large ignition modules, unless I relocate the battery or remove the factory overflow tank, which I don't want to do. So I'm just going to order the Pertronix.

I should be able to get this thing running eventually, but I'm still completely stumped as to why the duraspark wasn't working. I had a buddy over yesterday going through it. I watched him try everything I already tried and, together, we came up with a few other tests. Basically, bypassing certain circuits by running grounds and power wires from the battery (among other things). I had planned to run the duraspark setup in my 79 cobra. Now, I'm not sure if I even want to mess with it.
    Last edited by Broncojunkie; 08-27-2019 at 07:35 PM.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

FEP Supporter

Glad it's running again. Chime back in when you get the Pertronix running. I've got one of those boxes sitting here along with their Flamethrower 3 coil that will at some point go on my '85 so hopefully you have good things to say about it. It's got a ton of features for the price (don't know how many features I'll use, but still... lol ) and I haven't seen a crappy review on one yet.
    '85 GT

Quote Originally Posted by qikgts View Post
    Glad it's running again. Chime back in when you get the Pertronix running. I've got one of those boxes sitting here along with their Flamethrower 3 coil that will at some point go on my '85 so hopefully you have good things to say about it. It's got a ton of features for the price (don't know how many features I'll use, but still... lol ) and I haven't seen a crappy review on one yet.
    I sure will. I just ordered it. It should be here Thursday but I'll be in meetings out of town till Friday and then my brother's getting married Saturday. I should have it installed Sunday.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

FEP Supporter

Cool deal. I'll stay tuned!
    '85 GT

Man, in love Summit! I ordered the ignition box late Tuesday night and ups dropped it off Thursday afternoon. I might get a little time to start installing it late Friday night (tonight).

Here's the Pertronix box I got:
    https://pertronix.com/digital-hp-ign...l#.XWigqDcpCdM
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

FEP Supporter

That's what I figured you were talking about. Same as what I have here.

What coil are you going to use? I have read that other Pertronix products are very sensitive and prone to failure if used with coils that are outside of whatever specific ohm requirement they spec. That alone led me to buy their coil as I mentioned above. Below, from their site, is what they recommend for use with our type of boxes. FWIW, the e-core style is more expensive than the canister type. Again, I got the canister type.

Name:  coils for hp ignition.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  51.2 KB
    Last edited by qikgts; 08-30-2019 at 12:34 AM.
    '85 GT

I have 4 coils lying around...3 aftermarket and one oem style. I figured one of them would work. I was going to look up specs on them and see which one would work best. I didn't see the recommendation for coils but I did read something about what resistance they recommend.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

I didn't forget to update this... just haven't had a chance to try and get it lined out. Install was simple. Seems to be a quality piece. I couldn't seem to get it timed correctly. I'm pretty sure it's because both new distributors have loose-fitting caps/adapters. I'm going to try to reinstall the msd distributor tomorrow and see what happens.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd

FEP Supporter

Any thoughts on that ignition box yet?
    '85 GT