Close

Thread: Rear Hatch?

Default Rear Hatch?

Finally got #83 to to the house and in the shop. Does all foxbody hatches fit the 79?

Latch mechanism is different on the early ones AFAIK

So basically need to find a early fox hatch to fit back on the 79? Mine has to much rust on on it and just rather find a donor and swap the hatch out.

The 79/80 hatch uses a different latch than the 81-86, 87-91, and the late 91-93. The hatches will interchange onto the body, but the latches will be your issue.

From what I recall, the 81-93 latch assembly will not directly bolt into the 79/80 hatch. The simpler option if you can't find an earlier hatch would be to use the later model hatch and then swap out the rear panel on the body to be use the later model striker. Just make sure your actual striker bolt matches the correct year model hatch as shown above since there are 3 different striker bolts.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thank You for the info I have owned several fox mustangs and never new they had diff latches. Im also assuming if I use a later hatch ill have to cover in factory drill holes for the later spoilers on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Stripnzinc View Post
    Thank You for the info I have owned several fox mustangs and never new they had diff latches. Im also assuming if I use a later hatch ill have to cover in factory drill holes for the later spoilers on them?
    Yes, as I showed there are three different striker bolts, the 81-86, 87-91, and the late 91-93. The first two look virtually identical, the late 91-93 doesn't use the plastic bushing and has a smaller diameter. Make sure to match up for the year model hatch otherwise the hatch can be difficult to close properly and latch properly.

Unfortunately all of the later hatches will have either the LX spoiler or the GT spoiler. The GT hatch will have only 3 or 4 holes per side to filler. The LX has holes across the entire width of the hatch so if yours is a 79 with no spoiler that may be more work. If you can find a base model 4 Eyed hatchback without the rear spoiler that would be the best option. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller