Close

Thread: New roof skin

Default New roof skin

Does anyone offer a new roof skin? I doubt it, but I figured I'd double check.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

The only offerings for a new roof skin that I was able to find when searching for Erratic50's Saleen Clone were Carbon Fiber versions. Very nice, but $1200 or $1500 for the skin IIRC. Otherwise I didn't find any new offerings for the Fox bodies coupe nor hatchback.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

That's what I'm coming up with also. I didn't think anyone offered one, but you never know when the aftermarket might come out with a new part.
    Keith formerly STLPONDS
    '79 V8 coupe in the works!
    Build thread http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthread.php?t=89153

Quote Originally Posted by STL79Coupe View Post
    That's what I'm coming up with also. I didn't think anyone offered one, but you never know when the aftermarket might come out with a new part.

True! Very True!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

How do you attach and finish a carbon fiber roof skin?
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

The parts suppliers better get on the ball if the want to stay with the times.
    Most owners are not interested in using cheapo, salvage, or expensive race parts to preserve or restore a car.
    Old NOS, repro parts, generic fits all, are not always the best choice. No hoods.
    Every 10 years is a different car era. Not much has changed since 2009 with sheet metal for rusted fox.
    1974-2004 is skipped over for restoration parts, unlike pre-1973. Now they will soon be stuck with all that inventory.
    Used up the all the capital and no pick up on Mustang II, or much more common long run Fox platform?
    By the time they get around to it, may be too late.
    Like old toys from the 30's 40's even some 50's less customers around anymore that wants them.

Judging from the recent Woodward Cruise in Detroit, older generations are no longer into the scene.
    They still call it 'Dream' Cruise. I drop that word and use it to dream the cruise will be good as it used to be.
    The mix of cars has changed since the cruise started 25 years ago. Less and less every year. The hype goes on.
    Less hot rods, crazy stuff. Sure plenty of cars, just instead of 3 of each, there are 2.
    Taken over by newer Vettes, Challenger, Charger, Camaro, Mustang. Or 500 hp SUV.
    The now 70-80 year olds were were more active 10-20 years ago. Now they just drive out in their SUV and sit.
    Have no classic anymore. Expensive, no one to work on old cars.
    Cashed them out to buy the condo, pay medical bills, last round of travel trips, buy the Cadillac and a new vette..

My 79 roof has minor rust spots. If i have to someday, will cut out the bad and do a sunroof as a 'repair' patch.
    Or Koolseal it like a RV. Keeping current on sources for all types of metal for repairing areas that are not made yet.
    Last edited by gr79; 08-26-2019 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by droopie85gt View Post
    How do you attach and finish a carbon fiber roof skin?
    Loctite 406.

Knowing one fox must die so another can live, if you can’t find an aero car to destroy then I’m all for the carbon fiber stuff. By the time you factor in labor of removal and transplant I doubt any money is saved when you don’t go carbon fiber.

FEP Power Member

Dynacorn was supposed to be working on the Foxbody. They did the complete car on the first generation Mustang. I won’t make it to SEMA this year to ask them.
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Dynacorn was supposed to be working on the Foxbody.

I remember that rumor from a decade ago. Haven't heard anything new on the topic since.

It'd be nice if they had more available. I imagine it'd be a little spendy, especially the shipping. I don't know how many times I've added the sheetmetal I need to repair the rust on my Mustang to the 'shopping cart' only to close the tab after I estimate the "truck freight".

I keep watching the usual places for a reasonable roller or a clean 4cyl to swap my drivetrain into, and there just isn't anything left out there. Any thing that is priced right for gutting and rebuilding, is pure junk. The only half way decent buys are usually complete running/driving 5.0 cars, which isnt something I'd hack up.

Maybe if I leave my Mustang in the driveway another ten years, the repro sheetmetal will be more available, or it'll make better fiscal sense to patch up what I've got.
    1986 Mustang Notch, 2.3L Turbo Project

FEP Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by KevinK View Post
    Dynacorn was supposed to be working on the Foxbody. They did the complete car on the first generation Mustang. I won’t make it to SEMA this year to ask them.
    The question will be how many people will want a $15k body to start from? You can still find original cars running and sitting around that are clean enough to build for $2k or less.