Close

Default Pace car trans issues?

I recently bought a v8 4spd trans car. I've got the car running good from sitting for 10 years. When I bought the car the guy told me it ran and drove tell he stored it. Problem is when I press the clutch pedal
    in I can't get into any gears at all. But car off I can shift into all gears. My theory is worn out froze up clutch cable? Or this sound like my clutch is just toast? When I press the pedal down it has a lot of pedal not soft at all. Any ideas things I should look at lmk? Thanks.
    68 Mustang coupe, #83 79 Pace Car, 1984 SVO, 1996 Mystic Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2009 Mustang GT.

Anyone?
    68 Mustang coupe, #83 79 Pace Car, 1984 SVO, 1996 Mystic Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2009 Mustang GT.

Check to verify the that the throw out bearing is not seized up on the input shaft. A long pry bar will usually do the trick. Then I would check to see if the clutch cable is moving at all. You will need an extra person obviously to do that.

If either the throw out is seized or the cable is not working that would explain most of your issues. The other issue could be a worn out clutch or even a clutch disc that is seized to the flywheel or pressure plate. Either of those will require removal of the transmission and bellhousing for repairs.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I'm going to get the ole lady tomorrow to help me as I crawl under pull the inspection cover and see what the cable is doing. Thanks for the reply wraith.