Close

Default convertible leaks around side view mirror

I have been chasing this issue for awhile and it's still not resolved. when it rains I get water leaks running down the doors just under the side view mirrors. The drip runs to the bottom of the door, collects in the door speaker grille and sometimes puddles under the passenger side carpet. My door seal wither stripping is also rusting through the rubber in at the bottom of the doors on both sides. I had changed that seal around 4 years ago.

Name:  driver side.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  21.7 KB

Name:  passenger side.jpg
Size:  19.3 KB

For awhile I thought the A-pillar weather stripping was the cause. Even though I had changed it 4 years ago when I did all the weather stripping on the car all at the same time. But this summer I put in brand new A pillar weather strip, still leaks. Then I was thinking the water was intruding through the side view mirror assembly. After removing the side view handle I could see the gap between inner door and outer is so thick that if water was getting in there it would drip down the inner door, not into the interior. I still plan to remove both side views and see if I can make a rubber seal out of something, but that's likely not the cause.

I now am thinking the run channel weather strip has failed. Again, i changed that 4 years ago and never thought these expensive repro parts from Daniel Carpenter would fail so quickly, but I think that is the case.

Look at the condition of this run channel weather stripping. I plan to get new run channel and door weather stripping and do it all at the same time. But this has been one of the more frustrating things. I also heard theres plugs that will cause puddling on the passenger side when they dry rot, but I changed the 2 plugs on the firewall cowl when the car was painted. I am out of ideas on this.

Name:  passenger side dry rot and riped.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  ripped and dry rotted passenger side.jpg
Size:  68.8 KB

Name:  torn passenger side.jpg
Size:  40.2 KB

Heres a vid I made of it happening last year.

Wish I had an answer but, I'm having the same problem and I have changed everything. Hope someone has fixed the problem and can let us know.

I wish I could help but by 1988 the mirrors are on the door.

Scotty
    1985 Fox Notch 4-banger Ranger tube header Eastwood Royal Blue
    1988 Fox LX 5.0 AOD Vert BBK 170mph speedo Candy Apple Red
    1999 Mustang Coupe V6 Auto Chrome Yellow -Daily Driver.
    Past Pony's.....
    68 Coupe Inline-6 3-Speed-Man. Primer
    78 II Hatch 302 3-Speed-Auto Sunroof Black
    81 4-Eye Coupe 4-Banger 4-Speed-Man. White