Close

Default 86 GT headlight question

Good morning, hope some one with more electrical wiring knowledge might have some insight on this but last night I just noticed my passenger side lo beam does not work, but when I switch to high beams BOTH passenger side head lights work (hi and lo)

and ONLY the driver side lo beam works when i switch on the hi beam?

Would the high beam being out on the driver side cause a issue of this sort? I have to assume the passenger side low beam is ok since it does come on when I switch to hi beams.

Thanks any help is appreciated! I am going to double check the connections and make sure they are all getting power today.

The low beam headlights are dual filament headlights. What you are seeing is the low beam filament is bad, but the high beam filament is still good. When you put on the high beam all 4 headlights light up on the high beam filaments. There are 3 prongs on the back of the low beam headlight. One is ground, one is low beam, and the last is high beam. Replace the low beam headlight with a new one and your problem should be solved.

As for the driver side, sounds like your drive side high beam is out, so that needs to be replaced too. You can always pull the headlights and swap from side to side to verify if you have a power issue. If for some reason you do only have power at the connectors like you are stating, then I would replace the headlight switch first, if that doesn't solve the issue, then there's a good chance your turn signal/multi-function switch is bad.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by wraithracing; 08-25-2019 at 11:17 AM.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Thanks, I have ordered new lamps so hopefully that will fix it. Thanks again Trey

ok figured it out and all are working again, the low beam socket had one wire that had fallen out of the connector, reattached and low beams are working again, hi beam on driver side was just a bad bulb. thanks for your help Trey!