Close

Default Water pump pully qestion

I'm installing a 351w in my Fairmont and it has a 6groove water pump pully on it... The pully is warped and I need to get another one...Been looking and cant find a 6 groove pully. Anyone know where I might find one?

Summit sells a few different options.

I bought their knockoff/imitation of the 1993 Cobra water pump pulley. It’s designed to overdrive the water pump. Perfect when paired with an under drive pulley on the crank as it keeps the water pump at 1:1 with the engine then. I was having problems with temps on hot days even with my FB169 radiator.

Mine is a reverse rotation water pump setup .... seems like you are wanting a pulley that runs off the grooved side of the belt and not the flat side. There are options out there on the summit website last I looked.

otherwise March Performance (but get out your checkbook ..... you’ll need it)

BTW ..... happy with around 1:1 at the water pump. My car stays in the middle of the gauge and no more regardless of how long you sit and idle on a 100+ degree day. It runs on the O of Normal around town. Not bad for a motor that’s timed to run on the ragged edge of detonation even on premium fuel. Hard on them probably but I’ve always ran it this way and it sure is fun. Plus she sounds like a bad bitch and acts like one too.

Anyway, for once I’m satisfied with this part of the setup I’m running for now. The smaller crank pulley keeps my power steering fluid inside my power steering pump while I’m power shifting at 6150. I’d worry about my heater core again but it’s bypassed still. Been dreading that job for about 5 years now.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by erratic50; 08-25-2019 at 06:51 AM.

A grooved water pump pulley is usually standard rotation. A flat one is usually reverse rotation. Whichever kind you get, make sure you have the correct water pump. Luckily, unlike Ford's usual MO, the timing cover is the same for both.
    1985 GT, Sunroof, 5 Lug, Rear Discs, 01 Graphite Bullets, 88 forged piston shortblock, 2.02/1.60 Alum heads, Weiand Stealth, Holley C950 TBI, BBK Long tubes

Its a standard rotation pump...

This will most likely work.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/March-Perfo...UAAOSwaflcsYZC

I believe you need a WP pulley from a mid 80's F series truck. That or possibly a mid 80's Crown Victoria. Pretty sure the truck pulley is grooved and will work, the Crown Vic I may be incorrect on.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller