Close

Default side view mirror filler assembly

I have an 84 Convertible. This part is specific to 83-86. The models that have the side view bolt to the triangle corner of the door. Later models screwed the side views into the doors metal.

Anyway, I have been dealing with water intrusion coming through both side view mirrors, running down the doors and even puddling under the carpet. I have resealed the A-pillar's, adjusted all 4 windows and am 100% certain no water is getting in from around the glass. i can actually see water falling into the side view assembly if I stand and watch it when its raining out. So;

I found there is a seal behind the side view called a filler assembly. On every door diagram Ford lists this as part number E5ZZ61214A62A. No diagram I found lists the opposite part number. I had Matt at NPD help me over the phone, I spoke to the parts guy at Green Sales and we came up with the part number E5ZZ-61214A63-A as being for the driver side. But there is no listing on the planet for this part. It's confusing because Green Sales sent me photos of the part and its clearly a right hand part. There has to be a left hand to go with this.

Anybody have input on this?

Here's pics of the passenger/right hand side.

Name:  52919-4.JPG
Views: 55
Size:  451.5 KB

Name:  20190522_140345_resized.jpg
Size:  112.5 KB

Name:  20190522_140415_resized.jpg
Size:  88.9 KB

Name:  20190522_140444_resized.jpg
Size:  161.9 KB

I am not a convertible expert, especially the 4 Eyes, but many of the door parts are similar to the T-top cars, so I have plenty of experience with those.

How is this piece supposed to fit on the mirror? I don't see how this works with a normal mirror installed since the mirror has the remote adjustment knob that passes thru the window frame and is secured on the inside with the interior metal trim piece and an allen head set screw as well as the two studs that actually hold the mirror in place.

Other than the gasket seal against the mirror body and the rubber grommet around the remote adjuster cable, I have never seen any additional seals or gaskets on any of the T-top cars, nor the hardtop cars. The Aero convertibles that I have owned that were the early models with the window frame mirrors never had any different gaskets or seals than the hard top cars, so I am not sure how the piece in question would help.

Now if the car has no side mirror on the passenger side I could see this working, otherwise I don't see how this fits at all! The lack of a driver side part number would also make since if this is for the car with no passenger side mirror only, since the driver side mirror was standard equipment and could not be deleted to my knowledge as I believe that was required by law.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    I am not a convertible expert, especially the 4 Eyes, but many of the door parts are similar to the T-top cars, so I have plenty of experience with those.

How is this piece supposed to fit on the mirror? I don't see how this works with a normal mirror installed since the mirror has the remote adjustment knob that passes thru the window frame and is secured on the inside with the interior metal trim piece and an allen head set screw as well as the two studs that actually hold the mirror in place.

Other than the gasket seal against the mirror body and the rubber grommet around the remote adjuster cable, I have never seen any additional seals or gaskets on any of the T-top cars, nor the hardtop cars. The Aero convertibles that I have owned that were the early models with the window frame mirrors never had any different gaskets or seals than the hard top cars, so I am not sure how the piece in question would help.

Now if the car has no side mirror on the passenger side I could see this working, otherwise I don't see how this fits at all! The lack of a driver side part number would also make since if this is for the car with no passenger side mirror only, since the driver side mirror was standard equipment and could not be deleted to my knowledge as I believe that was required by law.

I think that my leak is more likely caused by dry rotted and cracked run channel weather strip. I changed it 4 years ago and its shot already.

That filler assembly is not gonna go with my set up but I still cannot figure out what its supposed to be for since it appears on ever drawing and parts list for 83-86 convertible doors.

Quote Originally Posted by fgross2006 View Post
    I think that my leak is more likely caused by dry rotted and cracked run channel weather strip. I changed it 4 years ago and its shot already.

That filler assembly is not gonna go with my set up but I still cannot figure out what its supposed to be for since it appears on ever drawing and parts list for 83-86 convertible doors.
    I will have to look at my parts book diagrams, but I am willing to bet this filler piece is only for the convertible cars that did not receive the passenger side mirror. It seals off the hole in the window frame and trims out that area. That again would explain why there is only the passenger side part number as the driver side mirror was standard equipment on all Foxes.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller