Close

Question Does a NOS water pump have a limited shelf life ?

What do you think - opinions concensus etc:

Does a discontinued obsolete NOS "New Old Stock" water pump have a "shelf life" ??

Was just doing some reading online on a few forums, a few Youtube videos and an article or two about the pros/cons of obsolete NOS New-Old-Stock parts. In this case in particular - water pumps.

Naturally this includes any older NOS "Reman" (factory remanuactured) & NORS "New Old Replacement Stock" (older "new" aftermarket replacement brands) water pumps too - all of which have been sitting on a shelf for years & years somewhere in storage.

As a general rule - at least a few articles and numerous pump rebuilders say in most instances generally stay away from any NOS water pump if it's 10-years old or more. Sure there could be a certain level of bias considerations (if they're in the rebuilding business) etc but here is what they say . . .

The main issue is the shaft seals either dry out or dry rot or shrink and there can also be some internal oxidation or even corrosion hidden on the shaft where it mates to the seal(s) - etc. As a result, the pump will either leak immediately or soon after installation or begin doing so prematurely and fail.

So if you're really wanting that original obsolete NOS pump - it's recommended to have it sent to a rebuilder or rebuild it yourself (if you have the skills & tools).

On a few discussion forums it seems it's debatable. Some say they've never had a problem and some have. Some just automatically send it out to have it resealed.

Do the restoration/rebuiler pro's have a good point? It seems logical. What do you think? What's been your experience?

Might be something to consider and think about anyway and I'm interested in what members might have to say about the subject
    Last edited by MERCURY MOTORSPORT; 08-23-2019 at 08:11 AM.

Personally I would be at least a bit concerned about an NOS water pump for the reasons mentioned. If I were restoring a high value car that really required such a part, then its a no brainer IMHO. If I am installing a semi-regularly driven street car, then I would purchase something a bit newer, maybe still OEM if possible, but definitely not a 10+ year water pump.

I am not normally an original NOS kind of guy, especially with the Foxes as I have never owned one that wasn't already worn down and beat to death before I purchased it. I guess I just have a soft spot for the diamond in the rough kind of car, oh and I am usually broke! I guess if I were in need of an NOS pump, I would seriously consider having it at least checked out or new seals installed just to be safe. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I tend to agree with the precautions given and guess I wrote that above post more oriented towards those FEP members who might be "restoration-minded" for sure. Half-questioning what anyone thought - and half-warning those who hadn't previously given it (viability) much thought at all.

There's definitely a market for original specific-year/model parts and I've seen quite a number of NOS water pumps sell consistently well. Almost a year ago I bought (paid a fairly decent price) for a NOS pump for a (relatively rare) classic Ford truck of mine - so to me it was worth it as I really wanted the original pump with the correct casting #'s etc. But I'd also been researching into this "NOS shelf life" area and found the warnings/precautions valid enough to also buy a new aftermarket replacement-grade pump "for now" and have the NOS boxed-up ready to send out for when I'm ready. I bought a Gates pump thinking it would be "name brand" at least and a decent choice & compromise.

Of course it was made in China (the vendor had listed it as Made in USA) and funny (not really!) that replacement pump was listed in the Gates catalog to be a direct-fit direct-replacement water pump for a 1977 Ford F150 400 V8. Well it wasn't direct-fit at all and wouldn't clear my truck's alternator bracket. I wrote to Gates and they "didn't know anything about that issue" and they told me to grind-down my factory alternator bracket to make it fit. It would've required significant grinding (not just a tiny notch). With time already an issue, I had to get the pump installed and I didn't feel like weakening the bracket so I ended up grinding the pump housing instead (which Gates warned me against doing) and after careful measuring, it made the pump housing only 1/8" thick in that area (which I don't like).

At that time and in hindsight - I wish I had the luxury of more time to get that pump changed and instead just sent the NOS right out to a rebuilder instead. Realistically it probably would've been a month turnaround time after all was said & done though.

BTW - "Gates" pumps are actually made by GMB and are cheap all-purpose generically cast pumps and plainly didn't fit my particular application.

In my humble opinion - for restoration-grade enthusiasts/restorers, there's nothing like OEM or Ford factory fit & finish. Buy a NOS water pump and get it rebuilt by a experience reputable rebuilder. If your old one is in good enough condition and a viable core, then send that one out for a rebuild.

And for the aftermarket performance-minded individual, it's definitely worth spending the extra $ on a high-quality/heavy-duty performance oriented water pump.

Quote Originally Posted by MERCURY MOTORSPORT View Post

Buy a NOS water pump and get it rebuilt by a experience reputable rebuilder. If your old one is in good enough condition and a viable core, then send that one out for a rebuild.

In my humble opinion - for restoration-grade enthusiasts/restorers, there's nothing like OEM or Ford factory fit & finish.
    +1
    86 SVO 2R Comp Prep
    86 SVO 9L Comp Prep
    86 SVO 7B Comp Prep

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MERCURY MOTORSPORT View Post

.... In my humble opinion - for restoration-grade enthusiasts/restorers, there's nothing like OEM or Ford factory fit & finish. Buy a NOS water pump and get it rebuilt by a experience reputable rebuilder. If your old one is in good enough condition and a viable core, then send that one out for a rebuild.
    I actually have a couple of NOS water pumps, that are date stamped. Do you know of a good rebuilder? Thanks
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371

FEP Power Member

There are several water pump rebuilders. Flying Dutchman is one that comes to mind. I have not used him yet.

For my car and my labor, I would not think twice about installing an older NOS water pump. On someone else’s high dollar car, probably not. I put a NOS water pump on my wife’s 67 thunderbird about 12 years ago. It’s still fine.

Btw, service replacement NOS parts would likely not be correct for a Thoroughbred (high dollar) car.

Old fuel pumps worry me....
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Power Member

One observation I have made on my older cars. Usually, they need flushing to get rid of the rust, etc. in the coolant. A couple of chemical flushes and some back flushing does the trick. I usually end up replacing a leaky water pump 3-6 months later. Note to self: Don’t do a through flush on a new water pump!
    Fox Body/3rd Gen MCA Gold Card Judge
    84 SVO 24K miles, 85 Mclaren Capri Vert. 84 GT Turbo Vert.
    88 Mclaren Mustang Vert 20K miles, 89 Mustang LX Sport Vert,
    03 Mach 1 7900 miles, 74 Mustang II, 69 Mustang, 67 Mustang, 07 GT500,
    14 Mustang CS/GT, 15 F150 FTX Tuscany, 16 F250 Crewcab, 67 Tbird 47K miles

FEP Super Member 79mustangcobra's Avatar

Thanks Kevin!
    1979 Mustang Cobra 5.0
    2P Red and 1C Black

Stock never goes out of style
    MCA #70281 - 79-93 MCA Concours Judge
    Proverbs 3:5-6

My Mustang Story
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...71#post1688371