Close

Default Floor/seat/support/repair bracket

When I had my '83, there was a bracket one could buy to brace/strengthen the RR mount of the drivers seat so the sheet metal floor pan wouldn't tear, or to prevent it from tearing more. Can not find it searching King Google. Are they still available anywhere? If not I will make my own, but they were nice as they matched the floor contour. LMR has one that goes on the outside of the pan, I just want the simple internal one.
    Thanks for not minding my being needy...
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I'm curious about this as well.
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

Yes! Exactly it!
    Thanks!

But, that post is from 2007. Anyone still sell them?
    83 5.0 GT. Quicker than it looks! 10:1 (or just over) 306, Motorsport a332 cam, 140A alt, t5 conv, 8.8 w/ 3.27's, Edel rpm, alum rad, very worked e7's, Holley SA carb, etc... SOLD IT!!!!

Now an 1981 Granada! .040 over 302, Edel E-street heads... Currently building a 347 because, why not?

What's wrong with the one LMR sells. It's larger, which I would think would be better, as it spreads the weight/force to a larger surface area.
    79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

79 Pace Car - 331, t5
    79 Pace Car- 302, 4 spd
    79 Cobra - working on 351w, t5
    82 Capri- working on 302, t5
    82gt - working on 408w, c4

25.00 for a 50 cent metal stamping.

Aw, it's weld-in. I wonder if a guy could throw some longer studs in the floors and then add some nuts to hold it in if that would even do anything. And if you were to do that, where would you get the longer studs?
    Brad

'79 Mercury Zephyr ES 5.0L GT40 EFI, T-5
    '17 Ford Focus ST
    '14 Ford Fusion SE Manual

It also fits under the car besides requiring welding. The brace in the 12 year old post goes inside.
    I will just use some steel from the store if an inside support brace can't be located. Not a big deal, I just liked that one because it fits right in.

Just bolting it really wouldn't do as much as it would still be able to be 'pushed' away from the floorpan. One other reason I like the inside repair (besides not having a welder).

I made a run of these "Special Service Mustang" floor pan reinforcements back in 2013. Lazer cut and then formed the curve and stepped areas. They fit every bit as well as the originals, which is to say, you had to pull them into place on some cars. Other cars, the fit was perfect.

Encountered a bunch of them someone had imported from China. What an ill fitting horror story those were. I remember about half had the two stepped flanges bent the wrong way. How did I encounter them? Well, one of the vendours of that top quality product wanted to know if i would run them through my tooling so he could sell them.

Oh the joys of making parts.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by gr79 View Post
    25.00 for a 50 cent metal stamping.
    Trust me! It's chunk of metal! The plates are close to 1/8" thick and heavy as heck! Not exactly what I thought I was ordering, but they do work. If you bend/crack/tear the floor pan after installing the plates you have MAJOR Issues!

Name:  2016-08-06 17.31.58.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  168.9 KB

Name:  2016-08-13 16.38.59.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  226.0 KB
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Since it follows the contours I wonder if I could put it inside. Probably not since the inside/outside of bends will be off by the metal's thickness.

Quote Originally Posted by richpet View Post
    Since it follows the contours I wonder if I could put it inside. Probably not since the inside/outside of bends will be off by the metal's thickness.
    Its been a couple of years since I installed the plates. I think I tested to see if they would work inside the car and the shape didn't sit flat or flush with the floor pan. Also they could also cause carpet fitting issues too. They can be bolted on, but you will want to weld them to at least add some strength, especially if you floors have any prior damage.
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

I had no idea this thread would garner this many replies!
    going to just use steel from the local store I think.
    Thanky though!

Quote Originally Posted by PrecisionTrans View Post
    I made a run of these "Special Service Mustang" floor pan reinforcements back in 2013. Lazer cut and then formed the curve and stepped areas. They fit every bit as well as the originals, which is to say, you had to pull them into place on some cars. Other cars, the fit was perfect.

Encountered a bunch of them someone had imported from China. What an ill fitting horror story those were. I remember about half had the two stepped flanges bent the wrong way. How did I encounter them? Well, one of the vendours of that top quality product wanted to know if i would run them through my tooling so he could sell them.

Oh the joys of making parts.

Don
    Im building an 85 Capri. Im also in Ontario, do you have any extras?

Default THIS is exactly what the OP was originally asking about

THIS is exactly what the OP was originally asking about:

PPI Performance Parts Inc

1979-93 - "PPI Floorpan Reinforcement Plate, reinforces the crack-prone floorpan area under the rear of the driver's seat, simple 20-minute installation, this is the ONLY floorpan reinforcement on the market that really fits!" - "DISCONTINUED"
    Featured in the following magazines :
    May 1995 - Super Ford Magazine
    September 1995 - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords
    March 1997 - Ford and Mustang Trader

PPI Floorpan Reinforcement Plate
    http://www.performancepartsinc.com/suspension_79_93.html
    http://www.performancepartsinc.com/images/fpreinfor.jpg

I actually wrote to PPI a few days ago about this part - asking if they had any of these in old stock or perhaps even a few leftovers that were blemished etc. I'd love to have something non-intrusive & interior-mounted like this to prevent this issue before it ever occurs.

PPI wrote back to me yesterday saying:

"Sorry, they are all sold-out. Due to a virtual lack of interest in the part by the hobby and numerous public complaints by some about its "exhorbitant" price ($25.00) before discontinuation, we have no plans to bring it back..."
    Last edited by MERCURY MOTORSPORT; 08-22-2019 at 08:50 PM. Reason: added photo link