Close

Default 1983 GT Steering Rack

Does anyone know how to distinguish if you had performance suspension or not from the factory? I need to replace the steering rack, and would like to know the correct one for my car. Any help is greatly appreciated!
    ~Paul

1982 Mustang GT
    1983 Mustang GT TTop
    1985 Mustang LX 5.0 Notchback
    1995 Ford F150 SVT Lightning
    www.cardomain.com/id/mustang4life1985

All 1983 GT and Turbo GT had "handling suspension" which included the "constant ratio power steering rack-and-pinion" (15:1 ratio).
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChassis View Post
    All 1983 GT and Turbo GT had "handling suspension" which included the "constant ratio power steering rack-and-pinion" (15:1 ratio).
    Thank you for clarifying this. My car has the slapper bars, so that was going to be my guess.
    ~Paul

1982 Mustang GT
    1983 Mustang GT TTop

What is the SPR code on the rack? That will tell you what application it is from.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Was it the same for the 1982 GT's? I have a 82 GT (Feb 82) and the rack didn't match up till we tried a part number from a 1981 Ghia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    What is the SPR code on the rack? That will tell you what application it is from.
    Is there a tag for this on the rack? Haven't taken it out of the car yet.
    ~Paul

1982 Mustang GT
    1983 Mustang GT TTop

Quote Originally Posted by mustang4life1985 View Post
    Was it the same for the 1982 GT's? I have a 82 GT (Feb 82) and the rack didn't match up till we tried a part number from a 1981 Ghia.
    Even though the 1982 5.0L had the Handling Suspension package as mandatory/standard equipment that package did not include the 15:1 rack that model year. It still had the 20:1 rack. The 15:1 rack was new for the 1983 model year.
    Axle Tag Decoder
    Buck Tag Decoder
    Door Tag Decoder
    Owner Card Decoder
    Transmission Tag Decoder
    VIN Decoder

FEP Registries: Black Magic & Crimson Cat / Cobra / Dominator / G.T.350 / LTD LX/Police & Marquis LTS / M81 / Pace Car / Predator / Saleen / Turbo GT & Turbo RS / Twister II

Wanted (Dead or Alive): VINs, door tags, buck tags, build sheets, window stickers, owner cards, transmission tags, axle tags

See the photo at the bottom of the link below. That shows where the SPR code is printed on the later racks. I'm not sure where it will be on your rack.

https://www.maximummotorsports.com/S...-Fox-swap.aspx
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Even though the 1982 5.0L had the Handling Suspension package as mandatory/standard equipment that package did not include the 15:1 rack that model year. It still had the 20:1 rack. The 15:1 rack was new for the 1983 model year.

Thank you very much for this information. It's greatly appreciated! Always love coming to the forums for advice.
    ~Paul

1982 Mustang GT
    1983 Mustang GT TTop

These are the ones listed.
    Remanufactured Hydraulic Power Steering Rack & Pinon [Complete Unit]; without Performance Suspension; with Ford Gear
    Remanufactured Hydraulic Power Steering Rack & Pinon [Complete Unit]; with Performance Suspension
    Remanufactured Hydraulic Power Steering Rack & Pinon [Complete Unit]; without Performance Suspension; with TRW Gear

Looks like I'm getting the one with performance suspension and hopefully it will be the right one. None are in stock and take a day to get. I didn't get a chance to order one last week.

The door tag on the car shows 9/82 .
    Last edited by mustang4life1985; 08-19-2019 at 03:02 PM.
    ~Paul

1982 Mustang GT
    1983 Mustang GT TTop

Just an update to this, the Remanufactured Hydraulic Power Steering Rack & Pinon [Complete Unit]; with Performance Suspension worked out great. Looking forward to some warmer weather to work on the car more.
    ~Paul

1982 Mustang GT
    1983 Mustang GT TTop