Close

Default Cardone 30-2470 vs Cardone 30-2490 distributor

Quick question. Any real difference between the Cardone 30-2470 and the 30-2490 distributors. My old distributor has just one vacuum line to it and the Cardone one I replaced it with has two. One at the tip of the "can" and one at right angles to the "can" which is plugged. It seems to fit but doesn't quite get seated all the way down, almost but not quite. It seems the one I wanted is really the 30-2470 with the one vac. line input. Any down side to using the 30-2490 and keeping that one vac line plugged?

You don't state what year model and drivetrain you are working on so that makes it a bit more difficult. I assume a 2.3 engine since both distributors are designed for the 4 cyl, but after that everything is a guess.

If you original is a single vacuum line, then I would lean towards replacing with the same, but again without more information I would be only guessing at this point. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

Quote Originally Posted by wraithracing View Post
    You don't state what year model and drivetrain you are working on so that makes it a bit more difficult. I assume a 2.3 engine since both distributors are designed for the 4 cyl, but after that everything is a guess.

If you original is a single vacuum line, then I would lean towards replacing with the same, but again without more information I would be only guessing at this point. Good Luck!
    Thanks Wraith. It's a '79 Carb Turbo Fox 2.3L.

Name:  MustangPic1.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  145.1 KB
    Last edited by radartek; 08-10-2019 at 08:22 AM.

My 2.3 knowledge is limited, but I believe the second vacuum line was emissions related to possibly retard the advance. I may be completely wrong on that, so don't just take my word on it. You can probably just block it off and be fine, but not 100% sure the two distributors are the same internally.

If the distributor will not seat fully, often that is due to the oil pump drive gear not aligning with the bottom of the distributor. Or at least that is the case with with the SBF and many other Ford engines. I believe the 2.3 uses a similar setup if my memory is correct. Often you can use an oil pump primer drive to turn the oil pump drive shaft slightly and then the distributor will drop in place. A socket and extension can work too, but be careful not to loose a socket down the hole. Good Luck!
    ​Trey

"I Don't build it hoping for your approval! I built it because it meets mine!"

"I've spent most of my money on Mustangs, racing, and women... the rest I just wasted."

Mustangs Past: Too many to remember!
    Current Mustangs:
    1969 Mach 1
    1979 Pace Car now 5.0/5 speed
    1982 GT Stalled RestoModification
    1984 SVO Still Waiting Restoration
    1986 GT Under going Wide Body Conversion Currently

Current Capris:
    1981 Capri Roller
    1981 Capri Black Magic Roller Basket Case
    1982 Capri RS 5.0/4spd T-top Full Restoration Stalled in TX
    1984 Capri RS T-top Roller
    1983-84 Gloy Racing Trans Am/IMSA Body Parts

2.3 dizzys run off the aux shaft along with the oil pump.

Checking my database on the car:
    Bought replacement Cardone 30-2490 back in 9/23/97 for engine rebuild. 34.00.
    Dist advance can is a single vac port.
    Am using manifold vac with a check valve to keep boost pressure out of the line.
    Runs fine but differently off carb tap lower idle rpm for one.

Rock Auto lists 302490 as single port, 302470 as dual port advance. Prob the same units inside.
    Should work fine. Cap extra port and go.
    Post #308, 320
    http://vb.foureyedpride.com/showthre...-years!/page13

I set initial and total timing during road tests to what engine wanted and how it felt.
    Runs on 87 oct no knocks or low rpm load 'pecking'.
    Have not touched the timing since 2001. Been running fine 100,000+ miles now.
    Do not remember any special issues installing dist.
    May have used a little oil or anti-sieze at the block hole for easy future timing adj.

Have a special long wrench to reach down in there. The only way to go.
    https://www.google.com/search?biw=11...4dUDCAY&uact=5