Close

Default Do I need to install a pinion snubber for my new upgraded 8.8? Take off dog bone?

I am just about to upgrade to an 8.8 with 3.55 gears. I've read elsewhere that installing new gears like this often negates the need for the "dogbone" weight at the from of the rear end. Others say to remove the dog bone but keep the bracket because it's the contact point for the pinion snubber. Not sure if all four eyes are like my '82, but I don't have a factory pinion snubber or even the bolt holes to install.

Do I need one with this 8.8? Or will those little above-the-rear-tires snubbers be enough?

Should I just remove the dog bone? If i put it back on, am i missing a rubber piece that goes in the little triangle in the picture? Otherwise it would just be metal on metal.Name:  IMG_8574_cr copy.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  70.4 KB

The heavy part is a mass damper to reduce driveline vibrations. Once you change the gear ratio in the car, you will significantly reduce its effectiveness as it will now be tuned to the incorrect frequency range.

If your car doesn't have a pinion snubber on the floor of it, there is no reason to install the top bracket as there is no pinion snubber for the bracket to touch.

The bumpstops on the rear frame rail of the car are there to limit normal up and down suspension motion. This is why they are placed directly above the axle centerline. The pinion snubber is placed far ahead of the axle centerline so it can stop oscillations of the axle housing around the axle centerline when there is wheel hop. It has a different function than the bumpstops do.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hidley View Post
    The heavy part is a mass damper to reduce driveline vibrations. Once you change the gear ratio in the car, you will significantly reduce its effectiveness as it will now be tuned to the incorrect frequency range.

If your car doesn't have a pinion snubber on the floor of it, there is no reason to install the top bracket as there is no pinion snubber for the bracket to touch.

The bumpstops on the rear frame rail of the car are there to limit normal up and down suspension motion. This is why they are placed directly above the axle centerline. The pinion snubber is placed far ahead of the axle centerline so it can stop oscillations of the axle housing around the axle centerline when there is wheel hop. It has a different function than the bumpstops do.

Cool, thanks for the advice!

So do you think I need to retro fit a pinion snubber as well since I've changed to an 8.8 with lowering springs (Eibach Pro kit with about 1" drop)? I also installed MM extreme duty lower control arms that I was told may help the wheel hop situation.

I would try driving the car first, to see if you can induce wheel hop. If you can, I would install quad shocks first as a wheel hop solution.
    Jack Hidley
    Maximum Motorsports Tech Support

FEP Member

I just completed a very similar upgrade this winter. 8.8 w/ 3.55, maximum motor sports lowers, new rubber in the top links, didn't reinstall the dogbone. No issues with any vibrations or wheel hop. I did put on new 4 cylinder springs and shocks leaving the original quad shocks on. They were in good shape, so I figured why not put them back on. Many say leave them off.

No dog bone, no pinion snubber. I recently upgraded my rear end with MM heavy duty adjustable lower control arms, MM OE upper control arms with new rubber bushings. H&R Super Sport springs. No quad shocks and no wheel hop.

I used to get wheel hop with my old setup (HPM Megabite JRs upper and lower and B springs) when I removed the quad shocks.

I did drop it another 3/4" to 1" with the new setup compared to the B springs. Maybe that helps with wheel hop?
    05 Corvette Z51